What's new
What's new

13' Lathe?

no704

Aluminum
cl1-1.jpg
I really like this old girl! But she is getting a little sloppy, so i'm looking for some parts.
Looking for:

1)Pinion gear for high speed threading attachment.

2)Cross slide nut.

3)Compound slide nut.

4)Head stock oil sight glass.

I do have it in the budget this year to get a new replacement. What are good new brands? 15K budget located in Phoenix, Az, Id prefer not to blow 1/3 of the money on shipping.

Harrison 300 is nice, think it runs a little under 20K though.
Lots of import choices in a 13 x 40, 13 x 24 less so.

My M300 oil sight glasses are a standard metric size.
Break out the old one and push in the new. Try to keep the broken glass outside the gearbox. maybe tape the glass before breaking.
Bill D

Hello, fellow Clausing Colchester owner .
I think these are the correct headstock sight glasses - Pretty sure they're the ones I used to replace mine a few years ago :

Set them in with some Permatex gasket compound, then at least the lathe won't leak there, anyway ;~)

That’s a nice little lathe. I worked on the square headed version in my last job. It’s got the long travel hand wheel in the wrong place though. That’s unless you like the back of your left hand covered in hot chips.

Regards Tyrone.

That’s a nice little lathe. I worked on the square headed version in my last job. It’s got the long travel hand wheel in the wrong place though. That’s unless you like the back of your left hand covered in hot chips.

Regards Tyrone.
I think that the Clausings and the similar Clausing/Colchesters with the handwheel at the front of the carriage were the non-gap bed machines. The gap bed machines had the hand wheel at the rear of the carriage. I have one of the 13" C/C's non-gap beds and it looks very much like this one except that the top of the headstock is flat.
JH

Back