What's new
What's new

16C Collet Chuck regrind

kineticmx

Aluminum
Bonehead move, got lazy during a setup and didn’t put the set screw into the collet groove. Spun the collet in the collet chuck.

Just pounded the collet out of the chuck and its got a small amount of galling on the taper now.

Fortunately I have a spare but would like to get this one cleaned up. Any recommendations for a shop that can regrind the tapered ID on this?

A2-5 - 16C collet chuck

Would rig something up and do it right in the machine but I don’t have a grinder suitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have turned the taper on 5C collet chucks before. Not that bad, just light cuts and offset Z to clean up. I think I used a DCET insert. Good luck.

I had one of these laying around from a project , i put a jig grinder pin in it and used it for grinding my chuck straight on my lathe. It had remarkable good runout. Used for other unique projects too.
Probably have to buy another one for my router table project this has been too handy at the machine shop.
b55afa57ae3eddddb26a6c7a80d85119.jpg

When I find it I don’t need it
When I need it I can’t find it!

Depending how bad it is you might be able to match the taper on a piece of material and use diamond lap or valve grinding compound. I did that on a machining center and came away with .0002 runout and it was pretty nasty to start with.

I appreciate the input gents. already have the machine running again with my spare collet chuck but next rainy day I have some time to kill im going to turn up a lap and see if I can get the galling to come off. Its really a small area, maybe 3/16” x1/4” on the outer edge where it got buggered.

Thanks for the ideas, when I get to it I’ll post an update for future idiots like myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back