What's new
What's new

16C to 5C Collet Adapter Not Working with Hydraulic Draw Bar

WakelessFoil

Aluminum
We have a 16C to 5C collet adapter that we are trying to use in our CNC lathe. Despite repeated attempts to adjust the moving part we can not get the 5C to close in the adapter. I suspect that the hydraulic drawbar, that moves only about 1/4 inch, is not retracting enough for this adapter to be properly actuated. Has anyone heard of an issue like this?

Thanks,
Justin

Attachments

• IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
We have a 16C to 5C collet adapter that we are trying to use in our CNC lathe. Despite repeated attempts to adjust the moving part we can not get the 5C to close in the adapter. I suspect that the hydraulic drawbar, that moves only about an inch, is not retracting enough for this adapter to be properly actuated. Has anyone heard of an issue like this?

Thanks,
Justin
I have been using those adapters for years. 1" stroke is more than enough. As Skubeesnak said, just screw in your adapter more, or screw your collet into the adapter more. If it still doesn't work, something isn't right. It looks like you are using an imported collet. Sometimes those don't have the right length of threads, so you can't screw them in enough. I've also seen where the keyway slot doesn't go deep enough, so the collet bottoms out on the key before coming to grip on the workpiece. Maybe try another collet to see if you have the same problem.

Thank you guys for the input, upon further inspection the drawbar does not move an inch, but more like 1/4"! A lot less than I thought.
you need to screw in 5c collet adapter more
I have both screwed in as far as they will go, and the adapting collar is shortened as much as I could. Still the collet barely closes at all. If I take the adapter out and pull on the rear end of the adapter the collet grabs. I will try a different 5C and do some further investigating this week.

1/4 inch is way more travel than you need. Something in you set up is preventing movement of the collet. Never used an adapter so I have no clue on what is wrong.

Hardinge mechanical closers do not use 1/8 travel. I will verify when I get to the shop.
Verified less than 1/16.

Last edited:

Back