What's new
What's new

1700 degrees F hot enough for A2 Heat Treatment?

NikL

Plastic
Looking for guidance. I am making some punch dies and want to make them with A2. My trouble is my kiln only reaches 1700 degrees F. Every heat treatment protocol I’ve read says to bring the part to a minimum of 1725 or 1750. Will 1700 degrees be hot enough? Thank you advance.

Looking for guidance. I am making some punch dies and want to make them with A2. My trouble is my kiln only reaches 1700 degrees F. Every heat treatment protocol I’ve read says to bring the part to a minimum of 1725 or 1750. Will 1700 degrees be hot enough? Thank you advance.

A2 Slowly heat to 1450F, then raise to 1750F and hold. Then set aside to cool. Change to O1 tool steel? Hardens at 1450F. Temper to 60-62Rc. 425F.
Roger

I have a real problem with questions like this. This forum is not a personal library for those too lazy to do just a little research themselves. Google is your friend! Please read the rules and show a little respect for your fellow members time.

good god he didn't ask for the heat treatment procedure, he asked if 1700F was close enough.

I don't have enough experience to give a good answer, but my gut says no simply because it's out of spec.

50 degrees below hardening temperature is still below hardening temperature.

You’re going to put money, time and effort into the dies. Find a few bucks and send them out for proper heat treatment.

Hi NikL:
You have to judge whether the work you put into the dies before you harden them is worth risking.
For a die that is to go to a customer, probably no.
For a die that will punch a few parts for your hobby project, probably yes.
For a complex progressive die, probably no.
For a die to punch a brass washer, probably yes.
You get the picture.

If this is an undemanding application, you can try to harden a sample and see if it gets hard enough for your job.
For anything where you believe you need the best performance from the steel, I'd do as fciron recommends and spring for the cost of having it professionally heat treated.
You will have to decide which category your project falls into.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

50 degrees below hardening temperature is still below hardening temperature.

You’re going to put money, time and effort into the dies. Find a few bucks and send them out for proper heat treatment.
Thank you for the input, will do

Can you tweak your kiln to get a bit hotter? Is the 1700 limit the controller or power/constuction capacity? Add more insulation, heat up the room....
I reached out to the manufacturer to get a different controller but they wouldn't send me one do to liability of the kiln not being rated for above 1700. Thanks for the input.

Hi NikL:
You have to judge whether the work you put into the dies before you harden them is worth risking.
For a die that is to go to a customer, probably no.
For a die that will punch a few parts for your hobby project, probably yes.
For a complex progressive die, probably no.
For a die to punch a brass washer, probably yes.
You get the picture.

If this is an undemanding application, you can try to harden a sample and see if it gets hard enough for your job.
For anything where you believe you need the best performance from the steel, I'd do as fciron recommends and spring for the cost of having it professionally heat treated.
You will have to decide which category your project falls into.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com
Sound advice, Thank you for the input. I will outsource the heat treatment.

Back