What's new
What's new

18 - 21 inch Macson Gap bed lathe: Aluminium labels

Thirsty 1

Plastic
Hello Practical Machinists, I am a newcomer to this site and to machining in general. I live near Gladstone, Queensland, Australia. Should have bought a lathe decades ago. It would have paid for itself x 4.
Earlier this year I purchased an old MACSON Gap bed lathe. Center to bottom of gap is 315mm, Bed length is 1.280m, total machine length is about 2.200m.
Their 1966 catalogue has a picture identicle to this listed as an 18 - 21 inch gap bed lathe.
My Machine is No. 60-175
Have pulled it apart and am reassembling it.
However two of the aluminium labels are UNREADABLE.
1. The first one is mounted under the large lever on top of the Main Drive gearbox. 4 holes locate this lever. I suspect it is related to Spindle Speed.
2. The 2nd one is the outer ring type label around a spindle with 8 markings on the face. This spindle is driven by the lead screw.
Can anyone supply me with photo's of what these lables have printed on them ? Thanks, Martin
PS. Photo's wont upload as to large.

I see the pic on P178 of the 66 catalogue........i suspect the second dial you have is the threading dial,and likely had 1/2/3/4/ with dashes in between .......cant help with the other...........I think that Macson had begun importing East European lathes ,and that is what you have ......is there a "Made In Australia" tag on the machine.?

I see the pic on P178 of the 66 catalogue........i suspect the second dial you have is the threading dial,and likely had 1/2/3/4/ with dashes in between .......cant help with the other...........I think that Macson had begun importing East European lathes ,and that is what you have ......is there a "Made In Australia" tag on the machine.?
Thanks John, No, nothing about country of origin.
Hello Practical Machinists, I am a newcomer to this site and to machining in general. I live near Gladstone, Queensland, Australia. Should have bought a lathe decades ago. It would have paid for itself x 4.
Earlier this year I purchased an old MACSON Gap bed lathe. Center to bottom of gap is 315mm, Bed length is 1.280m, total machine length is about 2.200m.
Their 1966 catalogue has a picture identicle to this listed as an 18 - 21 inch gap bed lathe.
My Machine is No. 60-175
1. The first one is mounted under the large lever on top of the Main Drive gearbox. 4 holes locate this lever. I suspect it is related to Spindle Speed.
2. The 2nd one is the outer ring type label around a spindle with 8 markings on the face. This spindle is driven by the lead screw.
Can anyone supply me with photo's of what these lables have printed on them ? Thanks, Martin
Thanks John, appreciate the additional info.
The numbers on the little flat faced spindle with alternate strike marks are 2, | 4, | 6, | 8, | They are clear and legible. The outer aluminium. lable has two concentric lines of print. By wiping some lightly contaminated oil over the surface as the sun gets low this is what I can see.
Upper Part of circle.
Upper Outer line.. :
8 POSITIONS DS
Upper Inner Line... :
4 " |
There is also a raised area after this with a clear strike mark that lines up withe the marks on the spindle face.
Lower Part of circle:
Inner line has:
2 POSITIO FOR HALF THREADS
Lower Outer line:
1 " QUARTER

I do not understand how this is to be used. If anyone can explain I would appreciate it. Matin, ( Thirsty 1 )

My Machine is No. 60-175
I have just noticed your post as I have just joined Did you get the info Inhave pictures of the labe if still required

Back