What's new
What's new

1916 article about Dominion Bridge Co. of Lachine (Montreal ) Quebec

Hi Jim I had an old friend that worked in the Vancouver plant for 40 years 1936 to1976 and his dad worked there for 40 years also combined 80 years father and son .he showed me a punching from a pcs of plate steel 2 1/2 dia 1 1/2 thick punched with a 300 ton punch press maxed out . The last bridge they built in 1976 was a riveted railway bridge for a US railroad It had been years since they had done that kind of work and the people could not beleve the noise .Funny he said that the old timers could only hear when it was noisy.The main fabrication shop is now holywood north movie set .
Collector

Thanks Collector ,
I had always associated Dominion Bridge with Montreal.
As a youngster in the 1960 s I remember my father taking me out in the boat to get a closer look at barges with bridge sections built by Dominion Bridge being pulled by tugs up the Ottawa River for one or more new bridge being built in Ottawa about 120 miles west of Montreal /
Having searched around a little found a bit more of the history at these links .
Dominion Bridge
Dominion Bridge Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dominion Bridge Company
I remember seeing a show on TV Ontario where I think the son or grandson of one of the dominion Bridge Founders P.L. Pratley was showing pictures from glass slides of the construction of the Lions Gate Bridge.
TVO.ORG | To Build a Nation - Lions Gate Bridge: Spanning Time
I see it was also shown on History Television don’t know if it will rerun any time soon and i cant find a link to view it on line
Lions Gate Bridge - To Build a Nation - History Television
Here are some more links I looked at for Dominion Bridge.
Building a Vancouver Icon: The Lions Gate Bridge | McCord Museum
Lions Gate Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
From the Google Photos here
dominion bridge - Google Search
I found some more company history
Héritage Montréal
Héritage Montréal
Jacques- Cartier Bridge Montreal
L'archéologue Urbain: Question-quiz: la réponse
Robb’s Engineering Amherst NS. , acquired by Dominion Bridge in 1923
Business and History - Robb Engineering Works, Limited | Western Libraries
Another search turned up this link about the Calgary opreation.
Dominion Bridge Calgary Calgary Heritage Initiative forums :: View topic - Dominion Bridge - Ramsay Exchange News
This company had a hand in building many of the major road and railway bridges across Canada
Regards,
Jim

I worked for DBS in Lachine from 1975 to 1989 in a number of engineering positions.

Great talent, good management, at least at the Lachine operation until 49% of it got sold to Escher Wyss of Switzerland.

Mind you, the introduction of small hydraulic turbine work provided some challenges!

Thanks for the link to Canadian Machinery!

Arminius

The Jarvis hydroelectric plant, located on Hinkley reservoir in NY State has two Dominion Bridge-Sulzer turbines. I was an engineer at this site during construction, which was 1985-86. Dominion Bridge, in the Lachine shops, built the turbines to a Bell or Sulzer design. The turbines were a challenge. They were an "S" type turbine, being double-regulated (Kaplan) style. The runners used a "Bestobell" seal, made in England. The logic controls came from Escher Wyss. The inlet butterfly valves were Bailey-Hogoovens, made in Holland, with German gear drives for the valve operation. The vendors who made parts on those units came from all over Europe and the UK. I joked that we had every thread system represented on those units- British Whitworth machine threads, British straight and taper pipe, metric threads, and US Unified National Form threads and NPT pipe threads. The hydraulic system to work the wicket gates and ptch blades was even more varied with metric and inch tubing sizes and a variety of fitting connection systems.

We had two erecting engineers from the turbine builders on the job- one was from Roumania, and the other was French Canadian. Not only could we hardly understand either of them, they could hardly understand each other. We had one Canadian erecting engineer who came out for part of the project. He was original, with Dominion Bridge before they got into the building of the hydro turbines for other firms.

The plate steel casings, main shafts and some of the other parts were made in the Dominion Bridge shops.

At the time we were working on the construction and startup at Jarvis/Hinkley, the same erecting engineers were commissioning another Dominion-Bridge/Sulzer unit in Dolgeville, NY.

The generators on those units came out of the West Allis, WI shops of Siemens-Allis. They were supposed to be the last synchronous generators to come out of the West Allis shops as Siemens relocated to Florida.

We commissioned those units at the end of December, 1985, and it was some time after before all the bugs were worked out. I recall the Dominion Bridge plate and machine work on the shafts, turbine casings, draft tubes and gate rings all was well done. At the time that the job was awarded to Dominion-Bridge/Sulzer, I had some misgivings We'd had some nasty experiences with some Brown-Boveri/Voest Alpine hydro turbines at another site where nothing fit together. It was the same sort of arrangement, where Brown Boveri and Voest "shopped" the building of the turbines and generators to a variety of vendors. In that case, nothing fit and the design was cheap and had problems from the git go. It was a continuing mess of field changes and rework with the Brown-Boveri/Voest Alpine units. The Dominion Bridge units were well designed and well made. Admittedly, they had problems with the Bestobell seals and some minor issues, but overall, everthing went together right.

In the past 20 years or so, Lachine became the place to send hydro turbine generator winding jobs and machine work. G.E. has a large shop there. I wonder if this was part of the Dominion Bridge facility ?

Joe Michaels

Thanks Joe Michaels ,
It's always better to learn about things from people like your self with first hand experience.
Dominion Engineering ,a close neighbor to Dominion Bridge in Lachine was also in the hydro turbine and paper machine business among other things.
I don’t know the exact relationship between the two companies and how much is left of either one now .
I have some historical information on D.E.W. but wanted to do more research before posting here.
I did post some links about it in post #6 of this thread.http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ttle-ge-hydro-generators-dead-storage-191859/
Regards,
Jim

Best I can remember is that Dominion Engineering Works (DEW) began as a division of Dominion Bridge Company, Ltd. (DB).

Sometimes in the 1950's DEW was sold to General Electric; whether Canadian General Electric, I don't know.

In 1979 49% of the DB Lachine operation was sold to Sulzer of Switzerland. Needless to say it was not a happy union, but life went on. Sulzer did introduce an interesting product line of small hydro and S-turbines. We did some pretty large stuff too such as the Bay of Fundy tidal power plant (so-called straflow turbine) and 4 Francis turbines for Tarbella, Pakistan. Also some large butterfly valves for Hydro Quebec.

When Dominion Bridge, Dominion Bridge Sulzer, and then DBS Escher Wyss, folded its tent sometimes in the 1990 a very good friend of mine from DBS "crossed the street" as it were and joined DEW. The turbine design and project work was handed off to the Canadian operation of Sulzer, a Swiss firm.

A number of years ago the Austrian firm Andritz went on an acquisition binge and purchased DEW and Sulzer's Canadian operation. (probably some other outfits I don't know about, too).

At Dominion Bridge Sulzer and then DBS Escher Wyss I was in charge of Manufacturing Engineering from 1984 to 1989 when I left for greener and quieter pastures in Ontario.

Getting a new product line going (small hydro turbines) and turbine runners exceeding 200 tons, also some rehabilitation work, was an interesting experience with some humorous episodes.

Last edited:
Armenius ,
Thanks for posting and sharing your experience also .
I was going to mention that last posting as well but got side tracked .
I have a couple of issues of the Dominion Engineer news letter put out By D.E.W. from the late 1950s that I was going to try and post about in another thread .
Most of the articles in those issues relate to the roll making divison.
I know a couple of retired D.E.W. people but haven't had a chance to find out if they may have some old issues stashed way that I could look at.
My father worked for a company that used some Dominion mining machinery so I think that may have been where he got the copies I have here .
I didn't see any references to Dominion Bridge in this article Plate Girder Bridges in Railway Construction part 1
Canadian engineer
in this Volume
Canadian engineer : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
or Plate Girder Bridges in Railway Construction part 2
Canadian engineer
From this volume
Canadian engineer : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
I have visited a few railway bridges they built like the ones in the links

Regards,
Jim

Last edited:
I worked for DBS in Lachine from 1975 to 1989 in a number of engineering positions.

Great talent, good management, at least at the Lachine operation until 49% of it got sold to Escher Wyss of Switzerland.

Mind you, the introduction of small hydraulic turbine work provided some challenges!

Thanks for the link to Canadian Machinery!

Arminius
Yes I worked for sulzer escher Wyss on the yangzee river hydro turbines

Back