What's new
What's new

1942 CURTISS WRIGHT AIRCRAFT ENGINE PROMOTIONAL FILM "WRIGHT BUILDS FOR SUPREMACY"

Jim Christie

Titanium
I noticed a link to this video in a search for engine casting on the Internet archive site and thought I'd start a new thread to share the link that may be of interest to some viewers of this forum .
While the film is a little dark it does show casting the cylinder heads and other aspects of WW2 aviation engine building .
The commentary is typical of the war time propaganda films.
Jim

Later P&W used forged cylider heads with milled fins on the R2800. These were still being nosily milled - in a production set up when I was going thru the apprenticeship '64 to '68 at P&WA

Here are the cast fins on a Wright 1820 F jug from about 1932. Cast aluminum head screwed on steel finned barrel (with 6 1/8" bore)

Attachments

• F_Jug01.jpg
    F_Jug01.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 8
  • F_Jug03.jpg
    F_Jug03.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
After John Oder mentioned the Pratt and Whitney engines I thought I'd check to see if there were any similar videos about those engines .
I haven't turned up a video so far but I did find a link to this book that can be read on line.
A thread from the General section from Jan. 2021 turned up where the book was mentioned.
Also I had posted some links showing fins being milled in an aircraft engine as mentioned by John .
I don't know if this is a Pratt and Whitney head or not
I had posted this and links to other aircraft engine parts being milled in post #10 of this older thread.
Jim

Here is a link to an article about Manufacturing New Engine Models made by the Wright Aeronautical corporation in 1929
There are a couple of Pratt and Whitney articles too.
I found these magazines ,
https://archive.org/search.php?query=Aero Digest
when I tried a search for them after seeing some pages from them in Clarence Simonsen's article on about the B24 Liberator
On one of Pierre Lagace's blogs.
Jim

Back