What's new
What's new

1968 Summit Horizontal/Vertical Mill

Gundraw

Aluminum
I am having a difficult time tracking any kind of information down on this machine. No manuals from Summit, no online notes, nothing about a model UNu... anywhere. About the only thing I have found is a couple of machines for sale that are seemingly identical.

Probably a long shot, but if anyone has some any information on this guy, I would love to see it.

01313_8b7VTulIN2t_1200x900.jpg

Summit Brand (Although Summit says this machine may have been part of Hart Ind. before/while Summit bought them out)
Built in 1968
Model UNu (yes, the second u is lower case)
10 1/2" x 47" Plain Table (No swivel)
5HP Spindle
1HP Feed Motor
Seems to be built in Italy (although a few controls are in French)
~3500lbs.
40 Taper (Horizontal & Vertical)
Power feed + Rapid in all three axis
25-1500RPM
3/8" - 90 IPM Feedrates

The machine is in running order, but the vertical head and X axis nut need a little attention. Past that, I'd like to get a feel for the machine in action, and if it proves to work reliably, give it a DRO, a coat of paint and a permanent spot in the shop.

I've been intrigued by machines further away. Because they weren't influenced too much, they come out with different engineering. That looks a great machine to me. The central motor drive is so cool because it powers all axis without hanging off. That means there are really intricate parts inside.

Pretty standard lookin plain horizontal mill,with a plain vertical head..........any intricate gears will be in the knee.......where rapids are often broken.....but you can live with that.

Well, I have an update!

First, a comment hinted that this could be an Induma mill. A few quick searches showed mills that were built suspiciously close to my machine, but not exactly the same. I figured it, for sure, had to be and an Induma.

A random search finally brought me to Simplon, another Italian company that also made similar machines. More specifically, a Simplon model UN (although mine does not have the universal table).

Of course, lathe.co.uk, had the information I needed the whole time:

Simplon UN Milling Machine

N
Know this is an old thread but I have some questions and new information about these mills, first the mills are registered with summit as a 2U with that information they can get simple operation manual and wiring map. I recently was operating mine and since I got it I was having trouble with the rapid traverse on the x. It was working just having trouble with it staying in gear same with the power feed going right to left going the opposite direction it worked great. Then 2 weeks ago I was running it heard some clanking noise and then nothing no power feeds in any direction I was hoping it just sheared a key or something simple like the clutch out of adjustment. But no I have a broken gear on the main shift that the motor turns to the rest of the gear train. Has anyone ever tore down the knee on one of these mills? There are a few other neglected or poorly repaired items that I plan to address once I have it apart. Any help would be appreciated.

Back