What's new
What's new

1995 HAAS VF-0, spindle encoder replacement

wacarr

Plastic
Hi all,
Has anyone swapped an optical spindle encoder for a magnetic encoder on a HAAS of a similar age, and have the parameters they changed handy?

We've got a '95 VF-0. The last guy with my job replaced spindle encoder with a magnetic encoder, and we are unable to rigid tap now.
Our HFO hasn't been much help and just kept telling me that out machine is old and changing an encoder wouldn't make rigid tapping stop working.

I think that I am most of the way through figuring out how to get rigid tapping to work again and am looking for a little bit of information and a sanity check.
I believe that the original encoder was optical, and that there should have been a sheet of parameters for the spindle encoder steps/rev, acceleration, and deceleration, that came with the new magnetic encoder.

I found a set of parameters on the HAAS website for that should be changed when installing a magnetic encoder in place of an optical encoder, and according to the document I need to change 79,182,186,187, and 239.

The only parameter in the machine that matches this document is 79. I changed 79 and the tapping cycle looks mostly right, but the spindle isn't stopping completely to orient before the tapping cycle.

So I think that the spindle acceleration/deceleration need to be changed (this looks like parameter 120 in this control, and not the 186 and 187 used in the document provided by HAAS). So maybe the document is for NGC controllers and I need the pre NGC document.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yes thank you, I have that information. My control does not have 182,186,187, or 239. They are either reserved or do not exist.

It does look like parameter 120 is spindle acceleration and deceleration, which may take the place of 186 and 187? But the values do not match anything in that document.

What error do you get? It could be the pulses per z index, if it's geared 2:1 it needs to be 8000 even though the pulses per rev are 4000

What version is your software? DC, V8 probably?\
Software is v 7.28n

shows on startup:
Version 7.28n
95-28-10

What error do you get? It could be the pulses per z index, if it's geared 2:1 it needs to be 8000 even though the pulses per rev are 4000

I'm not getting any errors, the spindle doesn't come to a complete stop before it starts the tapping cycle, and either breaks the tap or blows out the threads.

One more piece of information that could be pertinent. This is does not have the vector drive, and has a magnetek gpd 503 drive.

The HFO is now telling me that I need to reprogram the VFD. But does not have any ideas on what that would entail.
This doesn't sounds quite right to me, as the machine did fine with rigid tapping before the encoder was changed.

Does the Magnetek drive always stop the spindle though? I don't recall mine doing an orient when I still had the mag drive.

What did you set param 79 to? Do you have no C or other Spindle params? Also, are you sure you connected the encoder correctly, like can you see anything in diagnostics?

I really doubt you need to re program the VFD.

I was just told that the spindle should stop before starting the tap cycle, but that might be hearsay.

I changed 79 from 2000 to 2048 per the haas sheet.

The spindle speed was showing roughly double the RPM programed in the dgnos page. I doubled to 4000 and the spindle if programmed for 1000 now reads 1020 in the dgnos page.

The only spindle parameters I'm seeing are 118,119,120

and 144, rigid tap finish distance

Am I right in thinking that the spindle speed is read off the encoder, and if the spindle is reading higher than programed, the feed would be off?

I thought that the cycle looked fast, and now it looks a bit more reasonable.

My guess is that 79 should be 4096. Is it the 2:1 geared down encoder?

The signal to the drive is 0-10V analog, so its never going to be absolutely exact rpm though.

How different does the stop action act vs the old encoder?

I'm not sure if it is geared down or not.

The part number is 93-0447A

The guy who replaced it says there wasn't any documentation with the encoder, and I haven't found much information on it.

I haven't worked here long enough to be able to compare how it acted before the encoder was changed.

The haas sheet is wrong for this year machine, or this specific build of machine.

All that needed to be changed on this specific machine was parameter 79

Changing parameter 79 from 2000 to 4096 worked.

Back