What's new
What's new

1997 Brother TC-229N - Adding a tool setter

Mikeda75

Plastic
I have just picked up an old brother tapping center its about to be under power. I looked at it before it was moved and everything is working. I have all of the manuals. I'm wondering if there is any possibility of adding a tool setter or tool breakage detection to this machine. Its A00 control and this is shown as an optional feature and M200 is the tool breakage detection command. I also see a listed Input output for the detection unit. Is it as simple as getting a touch off plate and hooking it up to the right input signal bit?

Attachments

• IMG_1537.jpg
    IMG_1537.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5307.JPG
    IMG_5307.JPG
    933 KB · Views: 8
The TC-229 does not have the A00 control. There should be a tag on the back control cabinet saying something like CNC-820. That would be the control model. At least yours has the G-code upgrade. Most 229 machines were conversational only. I am not certain but I don't recall those having a touch sensor input or skip signal input. I know it does not have macro programming capability. They had a different spindle than S2A. S2A spindle is similar to Speedio with pre-load. The 229 was a good machine.

The TC-229 does not have the A00 control. There should be a tag on the back control cabinet saying something like CNC-820. That would be the control model. At least yours has the G-code upgrade. Most 229 machines were conversational only. I am not certain but I don't recall those having a touch sensor input or skip signal input. I know it does not have macro programming capability. They had a different spindle than S2A. S2A spindle is similar to Speedio with pre-load. The 229 was a good machine.

I have just picked up an old brother tapping center its about to be under power. I looked at it before it was moved and everything is working. I have all of the manuals. I'm wondering if there is any possibility of adding a tool setter or tool breakage detection to this machine. Its A00 control and this is shown as an optional feature and M200 is the tool breakage detection command. I also see a listed Input output for the detection unit. Is it as simple as getting a touch off plate and hooking it up to the right input signal bit?
I have a TC-227 (1992 vintage) with a 4th axis on it.
This touch off might work with a optional M fin board.
My brother dealer knew of this board and I think they might still support it 30 some years latter. Your control is newer than mine.
When I give a M command to the NSK indexer, the brother mill will not move till the indexer is in position. Back in the old days you would give rotation command and then a pause command and hope for the best.
If you do have a A control try moving a G1 Z-.5 X1. F6. to see if you can move Z axis with a Xor Y. My control no feed rates with Z and X or Z and Y moves.

I have a TC-227 (1992 vintage) with a 4th axis on it.
This touch off might work with a optional M fin board.
My brother dealer knew of this board and I think they might still support it 30 some years latter. Your control is newer than mine.
When I give a M command to the NSK indexer, the brother mill will not move till the indexer is in position. Back in the old days you would give rotation command and then a pause command and hope for the best.
If you do have a A control try moving a G1 Z-.5 X1. F6. to see if you can move Z axis with a Xor Y. My control no feed rates with Z and X or Z and Y moves.

My Machine is cnc-820 control I think this was before A00 control. Also just found out machine doesn't have some optional package for thread milling so it cannot make helical moves. I'm hoping I can enable this somehow.

Back