What's new
What's new

1999 Fadal 4020 for home garage

PonchoBunz

Plastic
Hello everyone! I’m wanting to put a fadal 4020 in my garage at home. It’s a 2 car garage connected to the house on the same foundation. The mill is 10,000 pounds . Would the foundation be solid enough to place the machine on ? Anything I should prep before the machine gets here? The foundation is almost 5 inches thick , house was built in the 70s . The plan is to build a bigger garage once I get more customers lord willing. What do you all think ? Holla if you need more info.

You might consider something like this to help. we have 1 one every Fadal.
We run 90lbs to the machine then use this to reach the 120lbs they require.
Air booster

You can run a Fadal with a Harbor Freight 2hp 20 gallon compressor. When it's running it doesn't use air.Only when you change tools.

If you still have the air/oil spindle, that doesn't use much air at all.
Just going by what it says. pretty sure I hear air when the spindle is running or I'm just old and hearing things:codger:

Consider epoxy coating your floor before putting the machine down.
Do this first before dropping the mill in place.

I also run a Fadal 4020 in a home garage of a 15 hp rotary phase unit. The machine can fit thru a 7ft door with the head dropped to the table, Z motor and ballscrew removed. At times I wish for a newer machine but those are pipe dreams. Plus I live in the worse area for Haas tech support so that route is gone.

You can run a Fadal with a Harbor Freight 2hp 20 gallon compressor. When it's running it doesn't use air.Only when you change tools.

If you still have the air/oil spindle, that doesn't use much air at all.
I had a 2003 15k spindle and it used plenty of air,for three days I had to use a backup 2 hp compressor and it went bad.

Just going by what it says. pretty sure I hear air when the spindle is running or I'm just old and hearing things:codger:
I worked at a shop running a 6030 fadal if I remember correctly. sometimes during a tool change it would shoot out the tool holder from the spindle haha. Directly on the table or part if there was one . Hahaha , broke so many high dollar endmills back to back. They finally decided to have it worked on , don’t remember what was causing it . Ahh good times . Now to find a decent air compressor. Thank you

Do this first before dropping the mill in place.

I also run a Fadal 4020 in a home garage of a 15 hp rotary phase unit. The machine can fit thru a 7ft door with the head dropped to the table, Z motor and ballscrew removed. At times I wish for a newer machine but those are pipe dreams. Plus I live in the worse area for Haas tech support so that route is gone.
Thanks for the info! Wasn’t sure how to get it passed the garage door which is 1 foot too short of the z axis . I’m looking for something similar to your rotary phase unit. Since I don’t have 3 phase in my home. So I paid 1500 for a 1999 4020 From HGR surplus . 30 day warranty. I hope this thing turns on and runs . I really don’t want to buy new or make payments just starting out.

Consider epoxy coating your floor before putting the machine down.
What about some kind of rubber matt or something like that? Spoke to a mover and he was saying something about a rubber padding to sit the machine on . Waiting on a link from him

What about some kind of rubber matt or something like that? Spoke to a mover and he was saying something about a rubber padding to sit the machine on . Waiting on a link from him
No. You want it on a hard surface. The purpose of the epoxy is to keep coolant spills from soaking in and making your concrete grungy for ever.

Fadals are a good starting point. I started with a 3016, fit no problem in a 2 car garage and ran easily for 2 years on a 15hp RPC. FWIW, with a small garage shop, the best thing I ever spent money on was a quiet compressor, unless you have somewhere outside or isolated to put it. They are definitely solid machines for what they are and it allowed me to buy a new Speedio.

Thanks for the info! Wasn’t sure how to get it passed the garage door which is 1 foot too short of the z axis . I’m looking for something similar to your rotary phase unit. Since I don’t have 3 phase in my home. So I paid 1500 for a 1999 4020 From HGR surplus . 30 day warranty. I hope this thing turns on and runs . I really don’t want to buy new or make payments just starting out.

Depending on the condition it could be a good purchase. Make sure HGR places a wood block or 2x4 under the head when its resting on the table. Also the weight in the column needs to be secured before shipping.

Epoxy. Something always leaks. Either by operator fault or accidents.

No. You want it on a hard surface. The purpose of the epoxy is to keep coolant spills from soaking in and making your concrete grungy for ever.
Worth every penny.

Also I would recommend joining the fadal group on facebook. I hate facebook but there is alot of help on there.

So I paid 1500 for a 1999 4020 From HGR surplus . 30 day warranty. I hope this thing turns on and runs . I really don’t want to buy new or make payments just starting out.
lets see a couple pics of the new purchase 1500 bones for a fadal is purdy cheap i don't understand how HGR can't figure out how to hook up some temp power so that an interested buyer can actually check the machine out. for that price i'd take the gamble.

I took a gamble on a 4020 2 years ago for $2000. Incredibly dirty and the turcite on the x is damaged, but it will be running some prototype parts for me in the next week. Like Garwood said, run it hard and earn enough to get a replacement. They are a great stepping stone.

My Fadal makes me money and keeps my overhead low...but I do dream of a nice new machine one day. Maybe when the bottom fully falls out here soon, I can get somebody's big dollar machine for 1/4 price. :skep:

Back