What's new
What's new

1999 Fadal 4020 for home garage

My Fadal makes me money and keeps my overhead low...but I do dream of a nice new machine one day. Maybe when the bottom fully falls out here soon, I can get somebody's big dollar machine for 1/4 price. :skep:

No regrets on my Fadal, but FWIW, the Speedio has been the best thing I've spent money on. It has easily paid for itself in the offset of time for work. Faster parts, faster setups, less headaches. It does everything better and ridiculously faster. I would have done it so much sooner if I could go back. And I'm part time in a garage.

lets see a couple pics of the new purchase 1500 bones for a fadal is purdy cheap i don't understand how HGR can't figure out how to hook up some temp power so that an interested buyer can actually check the machine out. for that price i'd take the gamble.
Here the link for the machine . It’s still at the warehouse, till I get a way to bring it home .

I took a gamble on a 4020 2 years ago for $2000. Incredibly dirty and the turcite on the x is damaged, but it will be running some prototype parts for me in the next week. Like Garwood said, run it hard and earn enough to get a replacement. They are a great stepping stone.
that’s the plan! How are you liking your 4020?

My Fadal makes me money and keeps my overhead low...but I do dream of a nice new machine one day. Maybe when the bottom fully falls out here soon, I can get somebody's big dollar machine for 1/4 price. :skep:
You will get there my fren . How long have you had your fadal? What machine would you get next?

that’s the plan! How are you liking your 4020?
I will probably cut something on it for the first time in the next two weeks, so no real experience with operating it. Just moving the axis around and running the spindle.

The best part of the machine is I have it in my shop ready to make parts for $5000-$5500. Tool holders, haimer, coolant, spare parts, usb interface, etc. Even if it's as mediocre as the TM-1 I ran 10 years ago it will be very worth it.

One thing I cannot recommend enough is adding the sound deadening like Aaron did in this thread. Makes a huge difference in spindle belt noise. https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/fadal-spindle-belt-noise.368129/

You will get there my fren . How long have you had your fadal? What machine would you get next?

Have had the Fadal since 2009, It's a machine that was factory rebuilt in 2003. It's been making products since that day. Its main job has always been making products and parts of products for my family's business. I don't do much job shop type work, typically its making products/parts for my family's business, my own products, or I am doing custom work for people I know in the automotive, offroad, or motorcycle world. Added a cnc lathe, instead of newer mill to add more capability. I moved to the middle of nowhere a couple years ago, and built a new shop and moved the machines here last year. My goal moving forward is to get more of my own products going, and to eventually get something like a Brother Speedio for product work. I will keep the Fadal. It owes me nothing and works. I do have a line right now on two very cheap Fadals, a 3016L with a 4th axis that needs a little work, and a larger 4525HT with extended Z... I kind of want one of them to help me get more done and bridge me over until I can get a newer machine. Only issue it will cost me close to $5k just to move the machine to my location. Hard to pay the same or more just to move an old machine compared to what it cost to buy it in the first place. My other option I am consider is buying the 3016L, taking the 4th and its card and wiring and selling off the rest of the machine and just moving the parts and 4th to my 4020.

I am really just in the planning stages of the next phase of my life, and figuring out the work I want to do going forward. Turning 47 this year, I am now living in my forever home/location and a bunch of long term goals are coming together, and I am no longer chasing the $ as hard as I was before. I want to enjoy the outside of work life a bit more, and am trying to design my business to allow that to happen. Part of that is keeping overhead low, and my work hours reasonable.

Have had the Fadal since 2009, It's a machine that was factory rebuilt in 2003. It's been making products since that day. Its main job has always been making products and parts of products for my family's business. I don't do much job shop type work, typically its making products/parts for my family's business, my own products, or I am doing custom work for people I know in the automotive, offroad, or motorcycle world. Added a cnc lathe, instead of newer mill to add more capability. I moved to the middle of nowhere a couple years ago, and built a new shop and moved the machines here last year. My goal moving forward is to get more of my own products going, and to eventually get something like a Brother Speedio for product work. I will keep the Fadal. It owes me nothing and works. I do have a line right now on two very cheap Fadals, a 3016L with a 4th axis that needs a little work, and a larger 4525HT with extended Z... I kind of want one of them to help me get more done and bridge me over until I can get a newer machine. Only issue it will cost me close to $5k just to move the machine to my location. Hard to pay the same or more just to move an old machine compared to what it cost to buy it in the first place. My other option I am consider is buying the 3016L, taking the 4th and its card and wiring and selling off the rest of the machine and just moving the parts and 4th to my 4020.

I am really just in the planning stages of the next phase of my life, and figuring out the work I want to do going forward. Turning 47 this year, I am now living in my forever home/location and a bunch of long term goals are coming together, and I am no longer chasing the $ as hard as I was before. I want to enjoy the outside of work life a bit more, and am trying to design my business to allow that to happen. Part of that is keeping overhead low, and my work hours reasonable.

I'm at similar place with very similar goals, though I'm only 45 minutes to a big city, not in the middle of nowhere.

I've been doing this on my own thing coming up on 2 decades now. From experience it's really hard to see the benefit of faster machines from where you are at, but you won't regret them if you go that direction if you don't spend too much to get them. Better machines means you get more time. Not suggesting you go head first into debt to get a Speedio, but there are plenty of deals out there on machines that are significantly faster than Fadals.

I'm not a Fadal expert. I've owned one. I've looked them all over and lifted the skirt. I know what's missing from them and what they're all about. That said, from what I've seen the 4525 is like the bastard redheaded stepchild of Fadals- It's the machine you wish on your enemy! I've seen multiples of them for free or cheap, even very recently. Seems like they have all the Fadals goodness made even better with the addition of undersized linear ways. Best I've heard a 4525 described is as a shipping container for the spare electronics and motors you need to keep your 4020 going.

I'm at similar place with very similar goals, though I'm only 45 minutes to a big city, not in the middle of nowhere.

I've been doing this on my own thing coming up on 2 decades now. From experience it's really hard to see the benefit of faster machines from where you are at, but you won't regret them if you go that direction if you don't spend too much to get them. Better machines means you get more time. Not suggesting you go head first into debt to get a Speedio, but there are plenty of deals out there on machines that are significantly faster than Fadals.

I'm not a Fadal expert. I've owned one. I've looked them all over and lifted the skirt. I know what's missing from them and what they're all about. That said, from what I've seen the 4525 is like the bastard redheaded stepchild of Fadals- It's the machine you wish on your enemy! I've seen multiples of them for free or cheap, even very recently. Seems like they have all the Fadals goodness made even better with the addition of undersized linear ways. Best I've heard a 4525 described is as a shipping container for the spare electronics and motors you need to keep your 4020 going.

I was leaning towards the 3016L with the 4th. Smaller machine, easy on power, and my phase converter would have no issues running both mills at the same time full out (for a fadal anyways)

A second spindle would help me with being able to do prototype or small production work while the other machine is busy doing its current work loads.

Back