What's new
What's new

2004 TL-15 (ST-20) Subspindle Air Leak?

Mike7557

Plastic
All,

I've got a new-to-me '04 TL-15 (think ST-20) with a sub. I'm getting, what I believe to be, a lot of air blowing out the sub. The main spindle is on the same 10-12 psi lube line system but it is fine and not blowing air like this. The sub spindle sounds and feels like all 10-12 psi is just blowing out of freely. I can feel it rushing out of the weep hole at the bottom; if I put my finger over it its still exiting somewhere on the side of the spindle area toward the turret.

Does anyone have a parts diagram of this subspindle, or ideas what it could be? The air lube line in from the regulator is ok, and the (single) connection into the draw tube area, just in front of the belt drive, is fine. The air is getting into the spindle, but it is blowing out unconstrained. I feel like an o-ring or a seal somewhere inside has failed. I know the spindle is supposed to have positive pressure to keep coolant and chips out, but this seems like A) more air than necessary is rushing out and 2) it's not coming out of the chuck face but somewhere further in. A 26 gallon compressor at 150psi drains to 100 psi in 90 seconds.

This is the closest I've found for a parts diagram ( https://www.haascnc.com/content/dam...view-diagrams/st-20-spindle-head-assembly.pdf ) but it isn't for the right year, and I believe it is for the main, not the sub. But it at least shows a single air line in, and a few seals and an O ring.

I don't know if this is a few hours and an O ring job I can do myself, or a dozen hours and a new subspindle with HFO doing the work for $10k. I spoke with their service guy for almost an hour yesterday and he couldn't get a solid answer either, so like a reasonable individual I'll poll the brain hive of the interwebs.

EDIT: I spoke with a 3rd party repair guy who spent some years at Haas. He recommended I work backwards from the sub spindle lube line in to where it connects at the air lube system. Disassemble the brass flowmeter and look for a broken spring or component inside. I could see if it was a spring check valve expecting to resist 12psi and a spring broke it would just let air woosh past. Not sure if these have springs and movement or are just tiny orifice holes and "failtures" = blockage not unrestricted flow

Does that seem viable?

Rear View.
#10 I believe on this diagram, metering units. Would these only meter oil or do they also meter air flow?

Attachments

• sub lines.jpg
    sub lines.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 1
  • color diag.jpg
    color diag.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Back