What's new
What's new

2006 VF4 spindle encoder issue

Hey guys,

I've got good news, I got the machine fixed :). I owe it to Turbo442 for his suggestion of checking the original parameters and changing any that differed. The were a few that must have been changed by the previous owners because I never touched them. With everything back to the original values, I changed parameters 79, 182, 186, 187 & 239 to what Haas specified for the new encoder. I kept 176, 178 & 188 as they were from factory. Wouldn't you know, the spindle started up beautifully in both high and low gear.

Thank God this adventure is finally over and hopefully my misfortune can help someone in the future.

Hey guys,

I've got good news, I got the machine fixed :). I owe it to Turbo442 for his suggestion of checking the original parameters and changing any that differed. The were a few that must have been changed by the previous owners because I never touched them. With everything back to the original values, I changed parameters 79, 182, 186, 187 & 239 to what Haas specified for the new encoder. I kept 176, 178 & 188 as they were from factory. Wouldn't you know, the spindle started up beautifully in both high and low gear.

Thank God this adventure is finally over and hopefully my misfortune can help someone in the future.
Nice!, and one in Donkeys arsenal for his machine.

Hey guys,

Rapid-tech, Glad to hear you had success! In the troubleshooting world we tend to think of software settings as generally all or nothing, not the cause of an intermittent problem. The magnetic encoder upgrade document is confusing with lots of room to make a mistake. I think the big take away for someone facing an encoder issue is to start with the parameters. I am thankful that Haas shares procedures and troubleshooting documentation with the public, They could very easily keep it locked down to their service groups. Oh and thanks for reporting back, so many threads on forums end with out resolution for the next guy.

Rapid-tech, Glad to hear you had success! In the troubleshooting world we tend to think of software settings as generally all or nothing, not the cause of an intermittent problem. The magnetic encoder upgrade document is confusing with lots of room to make a mistake. I think the big take away for someone facing an encoder issue is to start with the parameters. I am thankful that Haas shares procedures and troubleshooting documentation with the public, They could very easily keep it locked down to their service groups. Oh and thanks for reporting back, so many threads on forums end with out resolution for the next guy.
Cheers Mr. Turbo. Are you a Haas technician?

Back