What's new
What's new

2008 Toyoda BM-1200 -> Looking to install 4th axis (wiring there for it, need servo drive, motor, and rotary) -> 18i mb controller

WileCyot

Plastic
As the title says, I'd like to add a 4th axis setup to my machine. My machine is wired for it (there's a slot in the cabinet where a drive may have once been connected and wires going to that area zip tied around hanger).

Where exactly do I need to start? I can't really afford to have an installer come in and do this for me. It would cost more than I paid for the machine (24k).

I'm not trying to sound like a know it all but I'm a smart enough guy that with a little steering in the right direction, I can knock this out.

Thanks ahead of time for anyone willing to help a young buck like my self. I really appreciate it.

Sounds like the first thing you need to do is find a used rotory head. If you go new obviously it will cost more than the machine. A cheaper easier route could be to just buy a indexer with built in control. Then all you need is an extra m code.

Also keep in mind if you do go for a used head, it is going to have to be whatever the machine uses for servos. Fanuc, Mitsubishi, yasnac. Etc

Sounds like the first thing you need to do is find a used rotory head. If you go new obviously it will cost more than the machine. A cheaper easier route could be to just buy a indexer with built in control. Then all you need is an extra m code.

In doing all of this, I'm really trying to have 4th simultaneous if possible. I'm fine with used. Hell, everything I own is used why stop now? Next will be installing some used renishaw equipment.

Before you jump into this, there is a 'pre-wired' machine and a machine that actually had a 4th installed.

The pre-wired will not have the axis control card upgraded, options installed, servo power supply upgraded ( if needed ), interface kit for clamp / unclamp solenoids, simultaneous 4th motion option, ladder upgraded, etc, etc.

Don't sell, just find out for sure what you have already. Then look for used. Like I said just be sure it had one before or like the last guy said. Big investment. Also keep in mind the 4th axis is the cheap part if you want to simultaneous cut something. Cad\Cam can cost ALOT more.

IME, finding a used rotary in the size you need with the correct motor for your CNC system is a longshot. If you can’t then you have to buy a motor. When you buy the motor you have to make sure it has the right encoder count to work with a rotary axis rather than a linear axis which are way more common. Also the shaft detail is often different so you need to come up with or make an appropriate coupler.

Then you need the servo drive that matches the motor and control.

Once you collect all that then the real work begins.

You’ll be money and aggravation ahead to sell the old and find a 4 axis.

The path of least resistance to a full 4th is an HMC. You can buy a nice older HMC for less than retrofitting a 4th.

Pallet changers are neat too.

This is going to probably be an unpopular opinion, but I got a 4th from Silver Cnc, a chinese company, for my Sharp about a year and a half ago. I took a bit of a gamble on it and definitely needed a bit of a guiding hand getting my ladder in order to make it work, but once I did it has been rock solid. I would reach out to them about it. I was about 8.5K into it with a drive, rotary, cables, drive, shipping and import tax. When I was looking trying to find the right size 4th, with the right motor, in decent shape, and not new and more expensive than my machine proved to be impossible, hence why I went that way. If you are interested in it I am happy to chat with you about it more, both pluses and minuses.

This is going to probably be an unpopular opinion, but I got a 4th from Silver Cnc, a chinese company, for my Sharp about a year and a half ago. I took a bit of a gamble on it and definitely needed a bit of a guiding hand getting my ladder in order to make it work, but once I did it has been rock solid. I would reach out to them about it. I was about 8.5K into it with a drive, rotary, cables, drive, shipping and import tax. When I was looking trying to find the right size 4th, with the right motor, in decent shape, and not new and more expensive than my machine proved to be impossible, hence why I went that way. If you are interested in it I am happy to chat with you about it more, both pluses and minuses.

I'm not against doing this. I just need to figure out the ladder portion after that I guess.

Back