What's new
What's new

2013 Mini-Mill cable carrier mod

prime_mover

Aluminum
Older mini-mills have a tubular cable carrier that extends vertically out of the head. In a normal residential garage, a hole needs to be cut in the drywall ceiling for clearance. I didn't want to cut a hole in the drywall ceiling of the garage of the house I was renting at the time so instead I changed the cable carrier to a flat type and made it come out of the head at a less vertical angle. I bought the cable track from Mcmaster-Carr and made the mounting hardware to adapt it to the mill. The mounting hardware is hard anodized 6061.

My mill's spindle bearings have failed and the spindle is currently being rebuilt. Having the head cover off allowed me to get some decent pictures to show off the mod:

CC_full_1.jpg
CC_front_1.jpg
CC_rear_1.jpg
CC_rear_2.jpg

I'd like to point out that Haas redesigned the Mini-Mill a few years back and changed the cable carrier to a flat style. They had the opportunity to make the cable carrier extend out of the rear of the head but instead they made it come out vertical again, re-introducing the clearance problem. Haas failed to understand and accommodate its customer's needs. A significant number of mini-mills get installed into residential garages.

Last edited:

Back