What's new
What's new

220G Gang Lathe Tool Setup and Programming

I am a company owner, not a machinist, and just purchased a 2008 Doosan Lynx gang lathe. I have been scouring the forums and Google looking for a "how to for dummies" on touching off the tools and using offsets. On a turret machine you call up the tool number and its offset and it all makes sense since the machine knows where turret tool location 1 is, for example. On a gang lathe how do you establish the tool locations? Or is it simply that you tell the cross slide to go to a location in X and you can arbitrarily assign that a tool location and give it an offset number?

Is the middle of the cross slide considered X0 in the control and locations north of that spot are X positive and locations south are X negative?

I hope I have clearly shown that I need really basic instruction. Thank you in advance to all who can offer a path forward.

It's not too different from a turret style lathe.
When establishing tool locations, I always cleared the offsets to "0"
Then, in MDI call up the tool, touch to the part in X and Z and "measure"accordingly.

When thru, take whatever is your main tool and touch to the part with offset active for G54 work coordinate.

So, in MDI input "T0101;" Press cycle start, then move the tool and set accordingly in Z, and X.
Repeat for others.
I used to work for Doosan and have some training materials tho none specific for the gang tool machines. PM me if you'd like it.

It's not too different from a turret style lathe.
When establishing tool locations, I always cleared the offsets to "0"
Then, in MDI call up the tool, touch to the part in X and Z and "measure"accordingly.

When thru, take whatever is your main tool and touch to the part with offset active for G54 work coordinate.

So, in MDI input "T0101;" Press cycle start, then move the tool and set accordingly in Z, and X.

This is my process. Call up the tool in MDI, not with the console keys. It wont measure the work offsets with the actual physical tool you have, but with whatever offset was called up last. xD

What I'd like to know is how I can delete all my geometry and wear offsets in bulk instead of one by one. Any way to do that?

Back