What's new
What's new

$25k VMC Garage Buying Advice

I don’t think so. Any machine in that price range is a fixer upper. That’ was my expectation. These machines are well supported. So i fixed ‘er up and learned a lot along the way.
It is so that one is likely to be a fixer upper, but personally I would not spend $12,000 sight unseen. There are fixer uppers that need $ and fixer uppers that need $$$$. It's one thing to buy from a working shop but who know where an Ebay queen is from.

It is so that one is likely to be a fixer upper, but personally I would not spend $12,000 sight unseen. There are fixer uppers that need $ and fixer uppers that need $$$$. It's one thing to buy from a working shop but who know where an Ebay queen is from.

OK, well to the majority of the rest of us spending $12k sight unseen on a used CNC is not a big deal in many situations. Of coarse there are situations where the risk may not be worth it, but it usually works out fine if you have a half a brain.

OK, well to the majority of the rest of us spending $12k sight unseen on a used CNC is not a big deal in many situations. Of coarse there are situations where the risk may not be worth it, but it usually works out fine if you have a half a brain.
Long drives or a plane ticket are cheap insurance when you are spending whatever amount is to you significant. When the OP was starting out I bet $12k was a lot to him.

Long drives or a plane ticket are cheap insurance when you are spending whatever amount is to you significant. When the OP was starting out I bet $12k was a lot to him.
I originally did that. Then I realized - if it cost $1000 to get the machine shipped (this was a while back), $1500 or so to go across the country to see it, when I saw it I didn't really see much, just moved it around and looked at some indicators and saw what I already saw in photos anyhow, well ... I was just as well off and maybe better by just getting it and risking the return freight. MDNA has a 30 day return privilege, so if it's good, I saved the hassle and cost. If it's bad I'm not much worse off, and I get extensive testing to determine that.

I don't think I've ever sent anything back and the only things that have been a disappointment have been ones I knew were less than wonderful in the first place.

Not everyone is happy with that, that's fine, but I'm not convinced that going to see something is all that beneficial.

Back