What's new
What's new

2H Collets

Garage guy

Plastic
Collet learning time it seems, I have a Logan 200 lathe and recently acquired 17 Hardinge 2H collets, I don't have a spindle adapter for the Logan but is there an adapter so I can use these on the Logan ? To the untrained eye (mine) they look like a 3C collet .

Attachments

• 20230314_111918.jpg
    20230314_111918.jpg
    762.7 KB · Views: 15
Specs for comparison :

3C (also 1A is very similar, just shorter, interchangeable)
0.650" dia, 2.688" len, 0.640 x 26 RH thread

2H
0.826" dia, 4.250" len, 0.799 x 20 RH thread

The Hendey collets very long and therefore an adapter will stick out a long way from the spindle nose. I might buy them if you decide to go another route. I have a lever closer that might fit your lathe if you prefer that to a hand wheel.

Finding an adapter would first depend on what taper your spindle is, as it isn't necessarily specific to your machine (unless you're dealing with something very oddball). Most tool room lathes have something like a Morse 3 or Morse 4. My Hendey takes 3H collets and has a Morse 4 1/2 taper spindle. IMO If you want to make something, the spindle nose/adapter needs to be fairly accurate and hardened. The closer can be a bit simpler.

The Hendey collets very long and therefore an adapter will stick out a long way from the spindle nose. I might buy them if you decide to go another route. I have a lever closer that might fit your lathe if you prefer that to a hand wheel.
Thanks for the reply, I put them for sale and they sold right away. I have a Southbend drawbar and Taper adapter that I believe should work of my Logan 200

Thanks for the reply, I put them for sale and they sold right away. I have a Southbend drawbar and Taper adapter that I believe should work of my Logan 200
I missed that you have a model 200. I used to have one as well as a model 820 and both worked with a hand-wheel tightened South Bend 3C collet nose/drawbar set I had. The only thing I had to do was cut maybe 1/4-1/2" of the back shoulder down as the Logan headstock was slightly longer than the South Bend. Easy job.

2H collets were all the rage on universal tool grinders due to the long body length, they tended to pull into the taper, very straight and true and did not easily deflect. Not however common!

A friend of mine is a surplus dealer. He has several 2H collets in like new condition. If anyone is interested, PM me and I will give you the contact info. Expect the price to be pretty low.

Back