What's new
What's new

3 Phase DC Drive for 10EE (Polyspede SPEDESTER Series)

Jdub63

Aluminum
I've been researching several drive systems for my Monarch. When I purchased the lathe it had the 3HP DC motor, but the rest of the lathe was gutted, no drive, no DC control panel, and no transformers. I've looked at AC motors with VFD control, the Beel Industrial Control D510-FWCH, and I've looked at the Parker 514 solution that has been documented within this forum.

Recently I found a 3 phase DC drive that provides 230 VDC for the armature and field weakening within a 4 quadrant package. If I understood the technical information correctly, the digital drive requires a tach that inputs actual speed, once the base speed of the motor is achieved, the field weakening kicks in to achieve the selected RPM. You can select the maximum armature voltage and the minimum field voltage within the setup.

For the gray beards out there (i.e. PM experts), has this drive been discussed before? I couldn't find it using the search function.

Are there any glaring details that I'm missing (besides cost :))?

Bottomline, I'm interested in this because it seems to be the less complex way to keep the DC motor. Based on the tech info, just hookup 3 phase power via a contactor, a tach sensor, and the existing 10EE controls.

Here's the link to the product page.

Polyspede SPEDESTER Series

Last edited by a moderator:
What was to original drive on the machine?

10EE Reliance DC motors are a bit odd in that the field voltage is half that of the armature (except for the inline exciter machines). A lot of DC drives don't have the option of using a lower field voltage. It sounds like the Polyspeed does, which is good.

Do you have true 3-phase power in your shop?

Cal

Based on the drawings provided by Monarch, my machine was originally a WIAD setup.

I don't have true 3-phase power in the shop, but I did confirm with both American Rotary and Polyspede that the regenerative power "should" not effect either the drive or the RPC.

... the digital drive requires a tach that inputs actual speed, once the base speed of the motor is achieved, the field weakening kicks in to achieve the selected RPM.

It looks like it can be used without the tach input making it even easier to setup. Like the 514C it appears to be able to use armature voltage feedback to obtain 2.0% speed accuracy. Not as tight as the 0.1% speed accuracy obtained by using a tach input, but you may not need that level of speed precision depending on your use case.

One area I’m struggling with is how to change the direction by reversing the polarity through the potentiometer. Looking at the wiring diagram that seems to be the best way to change direction of the spindle.
Can anyone draw a wiring diagram of how this could be accomplished?

That's fairly simple if this is an ELSR machine. If not, are you OK with a panel-mounted direction switch, or do you want to use the 10EE's headstock-mounted drum switch?

Cal

I haven't really studied the manual, but I see that it has +10V and -10V reference outputs and that the speed control input (Speed Setpoint) takes +10 to -10V signal to vary the speed from full forward (+10V) to full reverse (-10V). This is pretty typical of DC drives.

For an ELSR machine you would connect it up per the diagram on page 34, section 4.1, with the following changes: Instead of connecting the CW terminal on the 10k speed pot to the +10V reference (terminal 27), you connect it to one terminal of the forward ELSR microswitch; you connect the other terminal of the forward microswitch to +10V. In similar fashion, you also connect the speed pot's CW terminal to one terminal of the reverse microswitch and you connect the other terminal to -10V (terminal 28).

Let me know if that makes sense.

Cal

I never pulled the trigger on this drive. Once I checked out my original motor it required a rebuild, so the cost between the drive and the motor became too expensive.

Back