What's new
What's new

30nmtb aux spindle?

I put $5 bid on a #6 Whitney mill, partially rescraped by owner, local auction, missing drive. Missing horizontal spindle, but came with what looks like a BB grinding spindle in the top/overarm bore. Typical sopko grinding taper on the end. Useless to me.

My interest is a small horizontal that can be left set up for gears, keyways, and such.
Originally intended to build a spindle for 30T tooling, since there is lots here for SB mill.
Took a quick cruise on eBay "30 taper spindle" And the site is lousy with them from China.
Who knew?

Apparently intended for routers?
Does anyone have experience with one?
Is it likely to hold up for low speed/typical horizontal milling?

Thanks!
smt

Seems odd that I don't see any electrical connections.

It is not a powered spindle. The end you cannot see has a keywayed shaft so you can add your pulley of choice.

To the OP:

If you look at it as a kit of parts that cost less than buying or making each piece individually, it makes sense. What might be wrong? Spindle taper might not be ground true, so investigate cost of regrinding. Bearings might be poor quality, so investigate cost of suitable replacements.

I agree that it's probably going to be a matter of bearings. If they are decent it will probably be fine... I wonder if the seller can tell you what bearings are in the cartridge?

Smt, if you decide to go with this 30T spindle, I’d be very interested in your opinion. I also have a partially rebuilt machine that this could be used on.

Please have a look at this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254671969476

Yes, it is BT40, I know. But the reason I post it is to make you aware that in this size at least, they offer a number of speed optons and a waterproof version. The listing also notes the bearing numbers.

Hence, my feeling is if you look at plenty of the 30 taper listings, you might find similar info. There are also listings on Aliexpress which often give more extensive datasheets. There is a YT video by TheChipWelder showing one.

they offer a number of speed optons and a waterproof version. The listing also notes the bearing numbers.

Thanks for pointing that out.
I had seen similar, but glossed over it with a large grain of salt, assuming it was merely an effort at translation of perceived generic stats that might hook various potential buyers.

With the chart in your link, it does give more credence that the specs might be tailored among units. If there really is a choice among bearings (say 70xx vs 60xx, that is useful info. Still wonder how good the bearings are, and how good the fit to the housing, and to the shaft, is?

I'll look more closely at the 30T specs and offerings.
smt

Back