What's new
What's new

33% off Fusion sale Today only

Mud

Diamond
For anyone considering Fusion, here's a link to the sale going on today only. $332 per user for one year subscription.

33% Off Fusion 360 Subscription | Buy Fusion 360 Software | Autodesk

I'm not a fan of the subscription model, nor of Autodesk, but this was enough inducement for me to give it a try for a year. I've wasted better money in worse ways. I've been using a free trial and developing a code generator for it for one machine and I'm impressed with what it will do so far. YMMV

There's things I don't like about it but it's serviceable. They make it so cheep I don't see how small shops or start ups could choose anything else.

When we first started to get into more sophisticated programming than what you could do at the machine control, we used BobCAD. It worked pretty good for us and I had no complaints with it - other than their sales techniques.

A few years later we switched to OneCNC and we loved it and still use it (I think we are on XR-7). Works pretty good for 3D work (which is a bigger and bigger part of what we do).

A couple of years ago, we also bought (rented) Fusion. We like it pretty well. One of my sons uses it all the time and he makes good parts with it so that's all I care about.

I would buy this if I were starting up a small business. This will give you a feel for cad/cam software and when you get a lot of experience then maybe move into a higher end software package.

I have the one month trial starting today.
I also spent about 45 minutes with a salesman going over the platform.
I think I am going to give it a try- I was told the 33% off deal runs till Jan 26.

They sent this file which is the exchange platform to send a model to a client to look over and mark up for changes.
This would be a useful widget for me as about all I do is send out drawings like this to non CAD fluent customers to explain the proposed work.

Fusion

Well I am just getting started to see if I can get up to speed quickly enough to jump over to Fusion 360 as my default CAD platform.
I have all the sundry drawings of ongoing and upcoming projects to contend with.

I need fluency TODAY as I have work to do- likely?
Perhaps not and a more gradual transition will be needed.

The first model started to get a feel for the platform.
Note the offer on price pinned at top:

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 7.20.06 AM.jpg

Edit- coming along but does anyone know how to create the widget file I posted above in post #6 to share a file?

Ok- bought and getting up to speed with the platform.
Really a nice upgrade- easy to use and well featured CAD for my needs.
This will help to get designs out to clients:

Fusion

Last edited:
Edit- coming along but does anyone know how to create the widget file I posted above in post #6 to share a file?

This looks like it. I opened it and uploaded a file, not sure how to broadcast it to someone else. I exported a Fusion file to my own disk, then uploaded it to the application.
Design Review | DWF Viewer | Autodesk

Does this link show you anything? - Autodesk Viewer | Free Online File Viewer

Edit - I received an email with a link to the model in the viewer, looks like you send the email to the customer to view it. Says it will automatically expire in 30 days.

How much memory is out there on the cloud getting used for stuff like this?

"Fusion sale" is a misnomer, you are not buy it, you are buy the right to use it for a period of time then they take it back.
Sale - exchange of anything for money; a special disposal of stock at reduced price.

The cloud needs to go

I am a subscriber, I very much like the cam in Fusion and the modeling is very good. The bs with the cloud is unacceptable and I’d advise anyone looking into this to consider it doesn’t work well unless it can call home , despite what autodesk says about it running offline for 2 weeks, you will get it to load about 5 times before it gets slower and slower. In addition , being married to Microsoft sucks. If it will run offline, it doesn’t need the cloud, it it runs on a Mac , it will run in Debian Linux. The mac version works better then the Windoz version. Autodesk early on was claiming the software was about the cloud to save costs, which is bs, it’s about licensing. Listen up Autodesk, you will lose subscribers to the bs with the cloud and increase the piracy you boo hoo about. The cloud sucks, lose it. Give the folks that did all the free testing with some respect instead of a source to be exploited. You can and will be punished if you do not choose wisely.

I am a subscriber, I very much like the cam in Fusion and the modeling is very good. The bs with the cloud is unacceptable and I’d advise anyone looking into this to consider it doesn’t work well unless it can call home , despite what autodesk says about it running offline for 2 weeks, you will get it to load about 5 times before it gets slower and slower. In addition , being married to Microsoft sucks. If it will run offline, it doesn’t need the cloud, it it runs on a Mac , it will run in Debian Linux. The mac version works better then the Windoz version. Autodesk early on was claiming the software was about the cloud to save costs, which is bs, it’s about licensing. Listen up Autodesk, you will lose subscribers to the bs with the cloud and increase the piracy you boo hoo about. The cloud sucks, lose it. Give the folks that did all the free testing with some respect instead of a source to be exploited. You can and will be punished if you do not choose wisely.

When I use Fusion 360 to import my scanned files, the last one took 35 minutes. Only about 3500 points (2D). No thank you. I bought Solidworks and am learning slowly, but took the same files into Solidworks and its instantly on my screen.

Back