What's new
What's new

4NS collets and Nichols parts exchange?

Steesbassoon

Plastic
I recently picked up a Nichols vertical head for my tool room model Nichols horizontal mill. The head came with an adapter for 4NS collets and two 4NS collets -- 3/8ths and 1/2 inch. Does anyone out there have any 4NS collets of other sizes they'd like to sell? While I can do a lot with the 2 collets I have, I'd like to follow up on the possibility of acquiring a few more before I decide to move to another type of adapter for collets of a different type that are more readily available. I'm aware of the 4NS thread from March of this year and would like to continue the discussion if possible. I know the 4NS are hard to find and notice one listing on eBay for quite a few, but out of my budget range.

Also, a kind member of this forum recently sent me a Nichols spindle and some other parts for shipping cost only. I'd like to pass on what I don't need from this haul to others on this forum who might be interested, again for just the cost of shipping. Here's what I have:

WC134 Spindle
WA 566 Rear spindle bearing
WA 494 Rear bearing cap
WA 495 Spindle sleeve
WA 566 Front bearing
WA 502 Flinger front bearing
WA 1538 shaft pivot (for tilting the head)
WA 1306 Rear pivot cap
WA 1305 Front pivot cap
WL 13-01 Dial for transverse feed
WK 6 Transverse feed screw
WB 411 Post keyed saddle
WL Transverse nut

The transverse feed parts look like they've never been used. The rest is in good/great condition. I can post photos for those interested.

Those collets must have been more popular a few decades ago. When I got my (used) Nichols, it came with two NS4 adapters, both of which I sold on to another forum member as I have no desire to accumulate yet another collet series in my shop.
I will have to check the parts list to see if any of that will fit my machine. Without checking part numbers, when you say "for tilting the head", do you mean raising/lowering the head by pivoting the arm that joins the head to the motor?

@sfriedberg first of all thanks for your many contributions to this section of the forum, especially regarding the Nichols Miller! Yes, I’m referring to the raising/lowering of the head by pivoting the arm that joins the head to the motor.

Steesbassoon, I think I have a few 1/8” extras, I will check to see if maybe any others. I will give you one of the 1/8” ; await on other sizes.
JST, I would be interested in a 3/8” if you have one; it seems that Steesbassoon has one already.
Bob

Steesbassoon; I have only an 1/8” 4NS available as surplus. PM me your address if you want it.
It’s not the prettiest of faces, but appears to be usable. I have not tried it in my mill.
Bob

OK. I have what amounts to a set from 1/8" to 5/8" by 16ths, plus a 17/64", a 21/64", a 25/64", an extra 7/16", and a 33/64".

Many are Hardinge, they are all used, some look almost unused, some have marks on the face. As far as I know they are all OK, although I currently have nothing that takes a 4NS (The Rivett 608 that I have is 5C). There is also (if wanted) a wood stand that they were in, which I think is actually a Southbend stand, and a cast iron collet rack which is rather heavy, and awkward to ship.

f5zCEVQ.jpg

hNXAs4q.jpg

UMQ3MdQ.jpg

@Steesbassoon, Ihave a Nichols Production Semi-Automatic. If you still have any of the extra parts, I wouldbe interested in the traverse feed pieces. Just let me know, thanks!

And, if by chance anyone knows where I can acquire at least the casting for the overarm, I'd love to get one of those as well!

@Steesbassoon, Ihave a Nichols Production Semi-Automatic. If you still have any of the extra parts, I wouldbe interested in the traverse feed pieces. Just let me know, thanks!

And, if by chance anyone knows where I can acquire at least the casting for the overarm, I'd love to get one of those as well!
Sorry, just seeing this now. PM me and I’ll send photos to see what you might want.

Back