What's new
What's new

5 Axis Machine vs part choice

And I am looking at a cheap POS Mazak EZ machine, Why because its only $180k and my part tolerances are low enough I don't even have to measure them.
but they do have 2 different sizes now, I think 400mm and 500mm or something like that.

16-20X pdf

What's the difference in price between those two sizes?

Unlike a lathe, where a larger machine has a slower spindle, the spindles on these two machines are presumably the same (I didn't look through the pdf in detail).

The amount of riser required to completely clear the spindle on the 400mm machine should also be adequate for the 500mm machine.

I'd go for the bigger machine.

What's the difference in price between those two sizes?

Unlike a lathe, where a larger machine has a slower spindle, the spindles on these two machines are presumably the same (I didn't look through the pdf in detail).

The amount of riser required to completely clear the spindle on the 400mm machine should also be adequate for the 500mm machine.

I'd go for the bigger machine.
I didn't price the 500mm version, because I didn't know it existed until I downloaded the pdf.
It's not on their site, and the Mazak sales guy is trying to get me to buy a C600 for $380k

Or the old VC-500A-5X but that machine had a engineering issue with the casting, they redid the casting and supposedly the issue is gone, but that machine is being discontinued/replaced with this Ez model.

They did say the VC500 I could get the super deal on, but the fact it had an issue before make me feel uneasy. nah!

Yeah its the whole I don't need a Lamborghini to delivery pizza's scenario fo sho!

Very true and many people, especially those who aren't writing the checks, easily overlook this. Easy to say "just buy the F1!" when its not your time and money on the line.

On the other hand, who's to say down the road a new opportunity comes up where you might otherwise miss out on, or wish you had [something closer to] a lambo?

Reminds me of an old boss telling a customer regarding a big quote - "Send me a PO, i'll buy the machine!" ... just ridiculous. Anyone can buy a machine. Why would they bother with him and not someone who already has the machine and the expertise to do the job?

If I were in your boots I'd look at something obviously with enough capability to do the task at hand, but perhaps enough machine that I'd have some room to grow, not something just enough to get by. But you know what they say about opinions

Very true and many people, especially those who aren't writing the checks, easily overlook this. Easy to say "just buy the F1!" when its not your time and money on the line.

On the other hand, who's to say down the road a new opportunity comes up where you might otherwise miss out on, or wish you had [something closer to] a lambo?

Reminds me of an old boss telling a customer regarding a big quote - "Send me a PO, i'll buy the machine!" ... just ridiculous. Anyone can buy a machine. Why would they bother with him and not someone who already has the machine and the expertise to do the job?

If I were in your boots I'd look at something obviously with enough capability to do the task at hand, but perhaps enough machine that I'd have some room to grow, not something just enough to get by. But you know what they say about opinions
Yup, only buy what you need with a little extra.
You may need another machine soon, and that money could be used there, I might need another 5 axis months later, never know.

Like my old manager used to say, "were not building the space shuttle on every part"

I have had a customer say, can you do this?, No, but I'll buy a machine to do it for that much money. And so we did!
Sometimes the customer would rather you did it than the next guy he doesn't know, or does crap work, unreliable, late....

Last edited:
ew, the mazak EZ's look like okuma and haas had an illegitimate child.
same kinematics as haas.
the mazak's i've ran were not any more rigid than haas
Shit your right there in Kentucky, run over and check one out, lets us know the scoop!

ew, the mazak EZ's look like okuma and haas had an illegitimate child.
same kinematics as haas.
the mazak's i've ran were not any more rigid than haas

In most 5-axis applications, accuracy and repeatability are more important than outright machine rigidity. There's a whole lot more threads here on PM about the accuracies of 5-axis machines than any other issue...

Mazak (and others) have figured this out, and are offering accurate true 5-axis machines for a market-busting price. Sure, they may not be the most rigid tanks of the 5-axis bunch, but for the majority of 5-axis parts, accuracy is by-far the most important machine capability.

It's half-price the Big Boys of 5-axis...the Mazak's are an option to consider.

The only machines in the same price range are Haas (which is known to not be very accurate or repeatable), DN Solutions (dumb name, btw), the 30-taper Brothers (which have a 2-axis rotary bolted to the table of a 3-axis machine), or a few Taiwanese-built offerings (YCM, Hurco,...).

ToolCat

Last edited:
In most 5-axis applications, accuracy and repeatability are more important than outright machine rigidity. There's a whole lot more threads here on PM about the accuracies of 5-axis machines than any other issue...

Mazak (and others) have figured this out, and are offering accurate true 5-axis machines for a market-busting price. Sure, they may not be the most rigid tanks of the 5-axis bunch, but for the majority of 5-axis parts, accuracy is by-far the most important machine capability.

It's half-price the Big Boys of 5-axis...would you rather have a Mazak or a Haas? (Not sure where DN Solutions (dumb name, btw) comes in with their 5-axis offerings...?)

ToolCat
DN Doesn't really have great prices, when I even talked to the sales rep. he said "No, our prices are up with the rest of them"
Strange thing to say! , I was referring to Okuma Genos $
I'll have to get a quote and make sure that's true on a 5 axis also.

But then there is the fanuc on their. So?

DN Doesn't really have great prices, when I even talked to the sales rep. he said "No, our prices are up with the rest of them"
Strange thing to say! , I was referring to Okuma Genos $
I'll have to get a quote and make sure that's true on a 5 axis also.

But then there is the fanuc on their. So?
FWIW, we have a DVF5000 and it’s arguably the best machine in our shop. We’ve had it for just about 4 years and haven’t had a single issue that wasn’t operator inflicted. We average 18-20hrs of run time per day, 5 days a week. It’s got a doosan cobot loading 5th axis workholding through the auto side door. The machine comes with a side door regardless, so if you decide to not go with automation right away but want the option at a later date, the door is there and just needs a few added components to make it auto open/close. Would be a perfect candidate for the Erowa compact 80 IMO.

In our experience, it’s just as accurate and rigid as our Matsuura MAM72’s, and WAY more reliable.

As for the Fanuc control… people love to bash them, and I would agree that HH is superior, but Fanuc works well IMO. And if you’re used to Haas, Fanuc should be a super quick learning curve.

It's half-price the Big Boys of 5-axis...the Mazak's are an option to consider.

The only machines in the same price range are Haas (which is known to not be very accurate or repeatable), DN Solutions (dumb name, btw), the 30-taper Brothers (which have a 2-axis rotary bolted to the table of a 3-axis machine), or a few Taiwanese-built offerings (YCM, Hurco,...).

ToolCat
fwiw. been running a haas umc500 for 1 1/2 year now. have not had any of the accuracy/repeatability issues empower had warned about. we do mainly die work in tool steel with some indexing and occasional simultaneous 5 axis toolpaths. it does the job
boss has said he's not buying any more haas, because of other issues. he's leaning toward mazak. their factory is just up the road from us.
i'd love to have an okuma, but would be way over kill for our current work. but would probably last him the rest of his life

So I got a quote from DN and their lowest end model the DVF4000 is $290 with probing.
This pricing is the same as the Japanese Mazak C-600 pricing also.

The Mazak Vc-Ez 16X I got a current quote for $170k

This should deliver pizza's just fine. Wont win any drag races though :D

Back