What's new
What's new

6" chuck on an A2-6 spindle

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys, like the title says: Is there a 6" power chuck available that has an A2-6 mount?
Alternately, is there such thing as and A2-6 to A2-5 adapter plate?

I know you can get adapter plates that go larger ( A2-5 to A2-6 for example ), but could not find a damned thing about larger-to-smaller adapters.

My goal is simple: I need to put a 6" chuck on an 8" machine with an A2-6 nose.

Thank You

Guys, like the title says: Is there a 6" power chuck available that has an A2-6 mount?
Alternately, is there such thing as and A2-6 to A2-5 adapter plate?

I know you can get adapter plates that go larger ( A2-5 to A2-6 for example ), but could not find a damned thing about larger-to-smaller adapters.

My goal is simple: I need to put a 6" chuck on an 8" machine with an A2-6 nose.

Thank You

I'm sure "someone" has one, but you could always make one. I made one for A2-6 to A2-8, shouldn't be too hard to go in reverse.

I have shop made ones for my machines. So many variables I didn't think these things were mass produced. I thought they were all made in house.

I made one for A2-6 to A2-8, shouldn't be too hard to go in reverse.

Actually, after examinig some of my chucks here with different mounts, it just might be hard to go in reverse, at least to be used for a power chuck.
It appears that the drawtube on the larger nose would interfere with the back of the smaller chuck.
IOW the difference in interface diameters are too large.
Going larger is not an issue ( I have 2 collet chucks with adapters that go from A2-5 to A2-6 and A2-6 to A2-8 respectively )
but going smaller I cannot see being possible without changing and reducing the drawtube itself.

That would also explain why there are large chucks with small mounts ( 8" with A2-5, or 10" with A2-6 ) from most makers, but never in the reverse....

Actually, after examinig some of my chucks here with different mounts, it just might be hard to go in reverse, at least to be used for a power chuck.
It appears that the drawtube on the larger nose would interfere with the back of the smaller chuck.
Going larger is not an issue ( I have 2 collet chucks with adapters that go from A2-5 to A2-6 and A2-6 to A2-8 respectively )
but going smaller I cannot see being possible without changing and reducing the drawtube itself.

That would also explain why there are large chucks with small mounts ( 8" with A2-5, or 10" with A2-6 ) from most makers, but never in the reverse....

Makes sense. Although, I'm thinking that a thicker one with a necked down tube would work. But then, it might just be too involved.

It should be possible if you make the adapter say 2" thicker or so than a typical chuck adapter to push the 6" chuck farther away from the A2-6 face. This would leave room for the standard drawtube to still fit well behind the small hole in the 6" chuck. Then machine up a drawtube adapter to connect to the existing drawtube and the new chuck.

Then machine up a drawtube adapter to connect to the existing drawtube and the new chuck.

Yes, a much thicker nose adapter could work, but the drawtube would require a coupler instead of an adapter.
Said coupler would be captive between the original spindle face and the back of the new adapter plate, and would serve as a reducer from
the original drawtube thread to the chuck's thread.

Back