What's new
What's new

8 inch buffer wheel options

pcm81

Cast Iron
Just got a variable speed 1HP 8" buffer (5/8th shafts).
My question is about a good lineup of abrasives to go from removing cast roughness to mirror shine.

The straight forward progression seems flap wheels from 80 grit to 600 and then buffing compounds on misc 8" buffing wheels.

What i am not sure about are all of the options available from 3m for deburring and surface conditioning wheels and if i should even bother with them if i am going to polish with compound later.

I got a cheap chinese 5P 180 grit deburring wheel which i used to clean up some aluminum and i do like the brushed finish it leaves. What i am unsure about is if these types of surface conditioning or deburring wheels (chinese or 3M) are a worth while alternative for sand paper flap wheels or if they are better suited for a final finish of whatever brushed look finish each one was designed to produce.

Thanks ahead

Evan Steger has some great youtube videos of metal polishing, he also has a website where he sells polishing equipment and consumables at Evan's Detailing and Polishing Shop
– Go Shine On
. Another source is Renegade Products USA. I don't know how much experience you have with polishing anything from a bare casting (I'm far from an expert) you need to start off with coarse grit and work your way to fine grit. It doesn't really matter if you are using sandpaper, rolocs, scotchbrite, etc. Smooth the casting marks, keep going finer to eliminate sanding scratches. Once you work into polishing rouge it is up to you how much luster to get out of it.

Was binge watching Evan's videos for a while already (He's a great guy!). I am not new to polishing, been sharpening and polishing knives etc for about 12 years as a hobby (water stones, loose compound on a strop, belt sander etc), but this is my 1st "serious" bench buffer, so i am unfamiliar with product line-ups available.

Back