What's new
What's new

"844 & BIG BOY 4014 firebox work & water treatment" 2024(?) Update on incredibly complex machinery.

standardparts

Diamond
Operational and technical details on operations of steam locomotives with details regarding the Big Boy.
Lots of pics and explanations. Never realized the size and complexity not too mention the enormous requirements of fuel and maintenance.
At one point he makes the case....When diesel locos became available they could not get rid of steam fast enough.
Steam restoration/operation no doubt provides work for machine and metal working shops to this day.

One of the more recent republish works from Lindsay is Laying Out For Boilermakers And Plate Fabricators

This version from 1944

Last edited:
It's amazing a publicly-traded Class One railroad still owns, maintains, and operates steam locomotives.

As a railfan, I'm sure glad Union Pacific does this. But if I were a large investor in the company, I would have to question the "ROI" of the steam program...

ToolCat

John Oder,
Thanks for the reference .
"Laying Out For Boilermakers And Plate Fabricators"- 1907 first printing
The layout guys (1907) were probably the highest paid workers for sure. But think for a minute of rows of rivet holes half blind because of an accumulated error in the dividers. The geometry expressed in the book is very interesting. All of this type of work now is 3D CAD and CNC cutting and forming. Another lost art/skill.

It's amazing a publicly-traded Class One railroad still owns, maintains, and operates steam locomotives.

As a railfan, I'm sure glad Union Pacific does this. But if I were a large investor in the company, I would have to question the "ROI" of the steam program...

ToolCat
Very true, wish more corps would have historic goodwill programs.

Most likely the restoration came from the advertising budget, good use of it. The ROI is probably good, the hits on the socials probably increased traffic quite a bit.

Back