What's new
What's new

9" Seneca Falls Star - What is the spindle bore diameter, and can a spindle with a larger bore be installed?

Brandt

Plastic
I'm a newbie machinist who has an opportunity to buy a Seneca Falls 9" Star. I'm finding conflicting information regarding the diameter of the spindle bore (anywhere between 5/16 to 3/4) I'm looking for something I can eventually turn rifle barrels on, so this sounds a bit tight. Can the spindle on these machines be upgraded to something closer to 1"? If so, what does that process look like?

Turm barrels for OD size shape length. turn for refinishing, turn breech end or muzzle end threads or shape.. better lay it all out so the PM guys can give you the best advice.

I'm guessing 3/4 perhaps 15 /16 but just a wild guess. Not anything the change the through bore that with not be a major job.

You can run barrel between centers or with the muzzle in a 4 jaw and the out end in a steady.

Last edited:
It is highly unlikely that any 'optional' spindles were made for that lathe. It is equally unlikely that you could find one if they were made. A 5/16 bore is also unlikely, probably closer to 3/4".

Thank you Gordon and Michanbuck for your help. The seller measured the bore at 3/4". My hope is to be able to take blanks and turn them to be concentric, the breach them. Largely .30 cal bull barrels, so 1" finished diameter would be common. I would also do threading.

The setup I was envisioning is spider - spindle - steady

I'm a newbie machinist who has an opportunity to buy a Seneca Falls 9" Star. I'm finding conflicting information regarding the diameter of the spindle bore (anywhere between 5/16 to 3/4) I'm looking for something I can eventually turn rifle barrels on, so this sounds a bit tight. Can the spindle on these machines be upgraded to something closer to 1"? If so, what does that process look like?
If you plan on chambering and fitting barrels, does this lathe come with a set of change gears fro different thread pitches?

The older Seneca falls were tooted to fit 3/4 so you might try a 3/4 something to see if t will just go. Still, that may be small for your needs. Good to get the How To Run A Lathe book and begin learning. Spending an extra few hundred or grand to get a well-equipped lathe may be worth the extra bucks because as you grow in your project likely you may wish to do more than your current thoughts.

A 1036 lathe or better, with gears or a quick change, a 3 and 4 jaw, steady, tailstock, taper attachment, tail drill chuck, fish gauge, a set of thread wires, micrometer, indicator with a holder. and a digital caliper. likely 3 grand plus for all this buying decent used.
You might measure a few guns to see what may fit through what spindle hole.
Yes, one can offset the tail to get some taper.
Do look at some YouTubes to see how barrels are turned and chambered, there are a few methods.
Agree an over 1" through-hole would be good, A SB 10 has 1 3/8 ( I think) and some a larger bore.

Some older smiths would put the muzzle in a 4 jaw and the out end in a steady, and perhaps run the OD between centers.

Last edited:
I have a 1916 era Seneca Falls Star #20 K series lathe. It's referred to as 9" machine but has an actual throw of slightly over 10" with a bed length of 60" As previously mentioned, it has a 3/4" bore. While it is a nice machine it might be a bit slow for your needs. The maximum recommended spindle speed is 366 rpm.

The machine does use change gears for threading. A complete set consists of 11 gears with the following number of teeth, 24, 32, 36, 40, 44, 46, 48, 52, 56, 60, and 96.

There are several catalogs of these machines available on the Vintage Machinery website:

There are several discussions on these machines in the Antique forum.

You would be better off getting a newer and larger machine. While all the work you want to do can be done between centers, (assuming the bed is long enough) eventually you will want to do something where you need a bigger through hole. Also, unless the lathe comes with a steady and travel rest you will have to make them. I doubt you’d ever find accessories for that lathe.

Chambering in the headstock is pretty much the standard these days. For barrels the size you are writing about, a through hole of 1 3/8” is about the minimum.

"Can the spindle on these machines be upgraded to something closer to 1"?"

No. At least not the one I own. The smaller journal at the left end is just barely over an inch OD.

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. I elected not not buy that lathe, as good a deal as it seemed to be. I'm watching the local ads for something more appropriate, perhaps a Logan 1922 (larger through hole), or something comparable.

If a lathe doesn't have the spindle bore advertised, but has a through spindle 5C collet set (wheel close or lever action on right side of spindle), it likely has the room you need.

Back