What's new
What's new

93 haas vf2 retrofit?!

Brandonbov

Plastic
Hey there recently got a 93 Haas vf2 and I’m looking to convert it to a more modern control software along with some newer servos and spindle motor! Got the machine for a real good deal so would like to get it up and going again! Any input would be greatly appreciated!!B6B9DA5C-C296-4377-A311-FCD02EA8C51E.jpeg

I've had good luck converting both a Milltronics VKM3 CNC knee mill and a Bridgeport/ROMI EZ Path S CNC lathe to Centroid controls. Both machines already had Yaskawa Sigma AC servos and drives, so it was pretty simple. I used their OAK boards for both machines.

You might want to dig around in the forum on their website. Your machine should have DC servos and you can probably use their Allin1DC board with them, but newer AC servos are SOOOOOO much better.

I've had good luck converting both a Milltronics VKM3 CNC knee mill and a Bridgeport/ROMI EZ Path S CNC lathe to Centroid controls. Both machines already had Yaskawa Sigma AC servos and drives, so it was pretty simple. I used their OAK boards for both machines.

You might want to dig around in the forum on their website. Your machine should have DC servos and you can probably use their Allin1DC board with them, but newer AC servos are SOOOOOO much better.
Awesome appreciate that, Iiv done some research on the Acorn board from centroid for a recent plasma table build! Will look into the Allin1DC board and see what I can figure out!!! Cheers

I have also done a Centronics Upgrade to a SuperMax that was a AB Bandit controller from the 80s. Centroid does have an upgrade path for Haas the last time I checked, but it was via another party, with everything being swapped. They literally take everything off the back and put a new one on. Change all the motors, and I'm not sure on Spindle... Anyway, They had pics up there. They have a few different boards for DIY. An AIO- all in One, something called an OAK board. Acorn is not geared to this probably... Anyway - point is you can run DC or AC for your motors. It was a fun project. I love that Mill still. Kid wants it for his place but I'm emotionally attached. LOL.

Ohhhh and you can sell the parts from this as Pulls on different sites. They still get decent money. Lots of parts in there. Put em on a shelf and sell them to recoup. IMO.

Ohhhh and you can sell the parts from this as Pulls on different sites. They still get decent money. Lots of parts in there. Put em on a shelf and sell them to recoup. IMO.
Ehh not a bad idea if they still bring money in! I bought a biesse rover 20 couple months back and have recently stripped it and actually sold way more then I had ever thought I would from it! It payed for my Mach 3 conversion with new servos and spindle! Just got this machine couple days ago and still browsing around for some ideas but I appreciate your input on centroid and I’m pretty sure I have watched a video of some guys making it look quite easy to swap over there kit but with the price tag and being in Canada I don’t think that would ever be a option… I’ve recently built my own cnc plasma table running mach3 and have a 10” atlas lathe that I converted to mach3 but the only thing I’m worried with the haas is keeping the tool changer and all the triggers in the haas, have seen one guy who has got a ATC running on mach3 but not sure it was easy as it looks… may be trial and error! Thanks again

What dos not work?
To my simple mind the operator side of the Haas control is the best in the business.
Get her inside, power and clean air. Its an easy machine to repair for the most part.

If the control board is trash and with your experience the conversion may be worth it.. but IMO she's worth a try.
Even if the battery is dead and you need to reload parameters. There are people her who can help.

My Berta a VF-0 just turned 30. Thru her life with me has had: Y axis cable repaired and made better than new. One Z axis thrust bearing. All five servo motors serviced with through cleaning commutator resurface, new brushes. One needed a rewind as it did not megger well. Replaced drawbar spring stack. New spindle encoder belt. One new old stock $8.00 eBay limit switch and a $14.00 Humphrey valve from cleaners supply dot com. Total expenses haven't exceeded $8,000 over 13 years I had her. None of the parts or repair thru Haas. All but the rewind and motor control my own labor. She functions like new.

There is a tremendous amount of support right here. Not knocking a retro, just why if you don't have too? You may spend the same labor but less in a new system.. I don't know, just a thought and intended encouragement.

Back