What's new
What's new

9a Restoration

Wow that is nice. I have one of its sisters. A 1947 9a with a 4 1/2 bed as well! We should compare SN one day and see how close they were made.

Can I ask you for the manufacturer and part number of the motor to flywheel belt? Looks perfect for the application. I just a new one on but it is a a funky green lawn and garden type belt from gates.

Paint Formula & Shiny Parts

I get a lot of questions on the paint color. The color you see is an EXACT copy of 2 South Bend parts (that contained a good section of paint, to be scanned).

Here is the formula:
IMG_0867.jpg

To get the handles shiny:
(only if there are deep scratches or gouges that need to be removed), I'll use a file or a Dremel. If there is pitting or an uneven metal profile (the surface looks lumpy or orange peel), I'll use two grits of emery cloth and just hand sand it. Fortunately for this restoration, my handles and ball cranks were smooth and un-flawed.

Once the metal is even and smooth, I'll take it over to the scotch brite wheel on my ($39 Harbor Freight) buffer. I use "fine" maroon debarring wheels. After that, it's a simple two-stage buffing with "black" rouge, then "gray".

Hope this helps. I think I'm going to make a video to show how do it. Stay tuned...

Thanks for the reply Brad. I'm definitely going to need to shine the handles on my heavy ten. It's little steps like that that really make a difference when it's all said and done.

Great work as always

Buffing Discs

I thought I'd also share with everyone, the discs I use to buff the parts. I thinks it's worth it, because I've bought some "other" discs and the quality was poor. They fell apart and did not produce the nice finish I was expecting.

The discs I use are from Standard Abrasives.

PartNo: 860708

On the label it also says "6x1/2 VFN A/O BUFF-H/S"

The discs are featured on Page 40 of the PDF-catalog here: Standard Abrasives Catalog

Hope this helps, as these discs are really good! Just go easy with them and don't ram the parts into them, to help prolong their life. And being only 1/2" wide, I often will mount 2 at a time.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 448
Thanks for the paint and buffing info. I just brought home a 1959 9A 3-1/2' last night. I can't wait to apply what I learned from your restoration to get my lathe back in show room quality like the job you did on yours. I'll look forward to seeing the polishing video.
Randy

Damn, you guys are making me sick... SB 9As must grow on trees over there! ;) If one even turns up here in CA it'll cost you $2500+!

Shaggy

Thanks, Brad! Gotta look for those scotchbrite wheels....I just got the same buffer....but polishing is harder than it looks....guess I didn't take enough time to get things even with a coarse wheel.

Brad, As you know from my thread, I'm restoring my 9A. My original lubrication plate is almost unreadable. Did you buy a repro plate for your lathe? If so where did you get it? I've checked ebay, but all I can find is the newer version. I'd like to use the original version if possible.

Thanks,

Tim

Brad, As you know from my thread, I'm restoring my 9A. My original lubrication plate is almost unreadable. Did you buy a repro plate for your lathe? If so where did you get it? I've checked ebay, but all I can find is the newer version. I'd like to use the original version if possible.

Thanks,

Tim

Reach out to Jim Kull (JKull on this site). He makes them... GREAT guy, GREAT work, GREAT prices.

Brad

Looks like you and I have similar tastes in machinery. Looks like you also have a clausing mill in the back corner.

Ritt

DSC0361-M.jpg

DSC0357-M.jpg

Brad

Looks like you and I have similar tastes in machinery. Looks like you also have a clausing mill in the back corner.

Ritt

Ritt - I sold the Clausing and bought Bridgeport (that I'm currently working on restoring). I need a vacation... :willy_nilly:

Back