What's new
What's new

A few bucks to improve Speedio's coolant nozzles...............

david n

Diamond
What's with the 12" of Loc Line any way?:rolleyes5: Try to move it a fraction of an inch and it moves a mile:willy_nilly:................ I just shortened them and added a pipe nipple and a 45° elbow..................sure is way easier to adjust the nozzles..............:smoking:

IMG_2107.jpg

Last edited:
The PAWS is nice, until you see the price. Guy on the Facebook group builds these for almost 1/3rd the price:

I keep telling myself I'll get around to making my own, until 3-5 months from now, when I'll give up and buy this one.

The PAWS is nice, until you see the price. Guy on the Facebook group builds these for almost 1/3rd the price:

I keep telling myself I'll get around to making my own, until 3-5 months from now, when I'll give up and buy this one.
Nice!
Yeah that's a lot cheaper.

David, that is what I have in mind too, but I need different nozzles to focus the coolant stream better than those "loc-line" nozzles that come with the machines. In your case, I would also position those nozzles much closer to the work, not something I can do with my R650.

This is the unit on my machine. Works well.

Theres a joint out there that makes metal "loc line" that acts kinda like those flexible indicator bases..............put it where you want it and tighten a nut to lock it in place.....................pretty $$$............can't remember if I saw it in a trade mag or IMTS a few yrs ago.....................

Couple downsides of paws I see. Only maybe 90 deg of coverage. Probably not ideal when material is behind the cutter. 180 deg is nice. Also it's fixed to tool length. Fine if they are all about the same length. I like fixed to the part height better. Factory setup is a pain to adjust. I'm going to copy, nice work

So many why.

It is hard to adjust. It always either assembles too tight or too loose. Orifice is too big for low volume systems, but on high volume systems the lock line will start to drift out of position.

Loc Line works great on tool room machines where you just need to point a little stream of wet on the part to stop chips from sticking, but it has no business on a production machine.

I've never lost a tool or a part to a steel or copper coolant line. I've never had loc-line stay where I wanted it, resist chips and have lost several parts and tools to it.

Fuck Loc-line.

I just tooled up the turret on a used CNC lathe I bought. $15 for 5 feet of 5/16" copper and a handful of compression fittings. I use a bender to do a nice job, but those coolant lines work like a champ and chips don't phase them.

All my mills use the QPM metal nozzles.

Theres a joint out there that makes metal "loc line" that acts kinda like those flexible indicator bases..............put it where you want it and tighten a nut to lock it in place.....................pretty $$$............can't remember if I saw it in a trade mag or IMTS a few yrs ago.....................
Here is a link to what you are talking about, maybe?

Here is a design I put together for the Speedio S series - dual coolant blast- air and coolant on board and uses the stock 1/4" npt push to connect for the air and a 2 ft whip hose off one of the machines coolant outputs. With so many nozzles, you can get coolant right where you want with multiple tool heights. I 3d printed it and it uses McCmaster-Carr ball nozzles and existing mounting screw holes that the stock air blast uses. This is an updated version from when I posted a while ago and has been working well for over a year.
If you have a printer, here is the file to print it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WwUKcMCY1EUQgIatIIetVATvQuSCmvLc/view?usp=sharing

Short clip of it working:

A few pics:

nozzle top.jpg

coolant nozzle plumbing.jpg

Do the speedios have through spindle air?
It isn’t a factory option, but Yamazen can hook it up easily enough (if you have a TSC capable machine). Just an air solenoid and a little plumbing into the TSC panel.

The current best-practice for folks using spindle grippers is to run them on air- they can do coolant driven, but they run better on air. Quick 5 second purge either way switches between TSC and TS air if you want to run both.

Many years ago running my first ever program on a VMC with flood coolant, it soon became apparent how retarded it was trying to position coolant nozzles to satisfy every tool. I thought that someone needs to invent a programmable position coolant nozzle. I then learned that somebody had. (Spider Cool) There may be others.

I see a lot of inventive ideas here at coolant delivery, but every single one pales miserably compared to programmable coolant nozzle(s).

Sure it really hurts to pay the price. Especially when it comes out of your own pocket like it does for me. The ouch of 2K plus if I remember right. But that pain vanishes almost immediately once it's up and running. You will never-ever regret it.

I have both single and a twin nozzle units. I seldom need or use two nozzles at once, but it is really nice on jobs when the need is there.

Not sure of the mounting location limitations of a Brother machine, but I bet all the smart Brother owners can figure something out.

Back