What's new
What's new

A question about the new ratcheting flex head box wrenches

edwin dirnbeck

Hot Rolled
The new ratcheting flex head box wrenches all seem to have an internal spline type wrench opening. This seems that a lesser amount of metal would be in the same size.Thus,it would be weaker.Does anyone use theese? Edwin Dirnbeck

I've used the same Gearwrench variants since around 2008 and they have lasted through quite a bit of use and abuse including the occasional whack with a hammer.

I've got some Gear Wrenches. I HATE them. They suck! Not only do the ratchets jam when you put a significant amount of torque on them, the worst part is that they are chrome PLATED. After owning them for years, the plating is peeling off and it slices your fingers if your not careful!

I've got some Gear Wrenches. I HATE them. They suck! Not only do the ratchets jam when you put a significant amount of torque on them, the worst part is that they are chrome PLATED. After owning them for years, the plating is peeling off and it slices your fingers if your not careful!
Interesting, maybe they have changed. Guess I shouldn't be surprised. Mine don't exhibit any of those issues but I haven't bought any in over 10+ years.

The new ratcheting flex head box wrenches all seem to have an internal spline type wrench opening. This seems that a lesser amount of metal would be in the same size.Thus,it would be weaker.Does anyone use theese? Edwin Dirnbeck

I don't know about what you are calling "new" but the Gear Head ratcheting swivel head combo wrenches I have are top notch. Mine are about 15+ years old, metric and standard sets. Not sure if the quality has changed but I am a pretty serious gear head working on everything from vintage motorcycles to modern exotic sports cars and everything inbetween and I swear by my sets of these. I've always thought that the roll pin between the head and body of the wrench was going to be a problem but never had an issue. If you need to put a breaker bar on the wrench to do what you are trying to do you might have the wrong tools for the job.

My all time favorite ratchets are their swivel head roto ratchet wrenches and I have a few of those too. I am a big fan but if the quality has deteriorated then that is a bummer. I just checked and the new ones are different than mine, now with soft handle materials seems silly to me.

I have some older GearWrench ratcheting box end wrenches and have had them jam up occasionally but only when I was using them a little past where I should have been in terms of torque level. I don't think they are actually intended for final tightening or breaking fully tight fasteners loose. Not that I haven't been guilty of doing that... They have held up to it just fine, just with an occasional jam that pops loose on reversal. No chrome peeling on mine, but they're pretty old. (Like a good 15 years or more probably).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there two types? The first ones I bought used a sprag clutch, which got tired pretty quick and slipped or locked up, and later Gearwrenches that actually had ratchets? I might be confusing identical looking wrench sets that have different names.
I marveled over the sprag type in that you could tighten or loosen something with very little room to swing the wrench.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there two types? The first ones I bought used a sprag clutch, which got tired pretty quick and slipped or locked up, and later Gearwrenches that actually had ratchets? I might be confusing identical looking wrench sets that have different names.
I marveled over the sprag type in that you could tighten or loosen something with very little room to swing the wrench.

Might be, but mine are ratchet.

About eight years ago my wife gave me these for Christmas. I gave her an air fryer. I won. These have been the finest wrenches I have ever used. I can grab the metric or English set and know I have got a wrench to fit something. They are very high quality and have stood up to some pretty heavy use. I also like the packaging because you can tell at a glance if you have missed a wrench when you are cleaning up after a job. I highly recommend them.

proto1.jpg

proto2.jpg

I never use ratchet-wrenches for heavy torque uses. It makes me cringe.

Those of us who are true mechanics understand that any ratchet is not meant for heavy torque uses...that's what breaker bars are for. The ratchet is then used to speed the tightening or loosening of the fastener. Then, we use the proper torque wrench for the final step in tightening.

All that said, I only follow the above when not impeded by space constraints, tool selection, time, or laziness.

Obviously my title wasnt clear enough

I was asking about the internal shape of the part that contacts the nut or bolt. Why is it a spline shape? All common box end wrenches have 12 POINTS that contact the nut or bolt. Thanks to all that replied. Edwin Dirnbeck

I was asking about the internal shape of the part that contacts the nut or bolt. Why is it a spline shape? All common box end wrenches have 12 POINTS that contact the nut or bolt. Thanks to all that replied. Edwin Dirnbeck

That's' a new-ish profile, able to doo several different fastener styles, and IIRC flank drive on most fasteners, so more torque/less corner rounding.

That's' a new-ish profile, able to doo several different fastener styles, and IIRC flank drive on most fasteners, so more torque/less corner rounding.[/QUOTI[/I]
I have read about the supposed advantages of the spline drive.I am wondering why it is not more common on regular box-open end combination wrenches. Edwin Dirnbeck

I borrowed a tool set out of my buddy's truck the other day that said "Metr-Inch" thinking: oh no, what am I in for? There were half the normal amount of sockets and they were double labeled, like for instance: ½"/13mm, etc. for one socket. To my great surprise, they actually seemed to work fine and get a good tight grip on the fasteners I used them on.

My GearWrench ratcheting box wrenches have the normal 12-point profile.

Combination wrenches and sockets with 12-spline broached openings -- in a fairly limited range of sizes -- are readily available. I've seen them, in the past couple of months, at an Ace Hardware, Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Lowes, and a couple different chain auto supply stores.

For what it's worth, I first encountered the "12 spline" wrench opening in the early-to-mid 1980s. The Snap-On Industrial salesman that my employer worked with had a demonstration kit consisting of a Craftsman 12-point combination wrench, a Snap-On Flank Drive 12-point combination wrench, a Snap-On 12-spline combination wrench, and a few hundred half-inch lengths of 3/8 inch hex nylon rod.

The demonstration of the effectiveness of the wrench opening was simple: put the Craftsman and Flank-Drive box ends on one of the nylon slugs, and twist. Then put the wrench that didn't round over the first nylon slug on a new chunk of nylon, add the 12-spline wrench, and twist again.

The Flank-Drive invariably won the first duel, and lost the second to the 12-spline opening.

Last edited:

Back