What's new
What's new

A summary of the evolvement of the Engine-Lathe in the USA part 1 of 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

G&L4nahalf

Cast Iron
PART 1 OF 2 PARTS A summary of the evolvement of the Engine-Lathe in the USA. part 1 of 2
The impetus and background for the start of the modern Engine-Lathe development in the USA. Power and need.

We should be aware, that prior to 1775, the USA colonies were forced by law, to buy textiles and finished clothing from England. After the Revolutionary war of 1775 to 1781, that was no longer necessary, and textile technology had advanced to the point that water-power was the only viable option for powering the mills in the USA. Some of those plants were operating thousands of spinning spindles. There were really only ~ a half-dozen sites in New England suitable for textile water-wheel power. The two main ones were the Blackstone river at Pawtucket RI, and the Vermont-New Hampshire river at Windsor Vt.

The water-wheels were constructed in situ, that is : after the wheel-pit was constructed, the axle was fitted, installed, balanced, etc., in the pit. Then, the frame for the wheel was built around it in the pit, followed by the bucket construction onto the frame. The final operation was affixing leather flaps over holes in the buckets for expediting water release on the upcycle. I had originally thought that some how the finished wheel was lowered into the pit. Not so.. Every thing from the axle on, was done right in the pit located in the basements of those textile mills. Normally, the mills had 3 or 4 floors, constructed in a narrow long rectangular configuration, utilizing sunlight and line-shafting for the machinery. 6 - 12 hr days were the normal work week, and night-work was normally not done, as those plants were proven to be extreme fire-hazards. The shop facilities for repair and maintenance were typically located in the basement next to the water-wheel main shaft. The wheels turned ~ 5 rpm, weighed in the range of 15-20,000 lbs, and lasted just 7 years even with the best wood and maintenance. Then, it had to be a new rebuild. The 18' dia @ Windsor, is believed to have put out ~50 hp; with ~1/2 of that useable on the machinery itself, drawn from the line-shafting by flat leather belts. The wheel-speed needed to be governed for the textile-thread machinery, and it was automatic by lowering and raising the final sluice gate for the water flow to the wheel. I do not know the mechanism designs. There were complaints about response time lag for the varying need for water volume and consequent line-shaft speed.

This then, would be the situation for power for the machine-tool industry for about the next 75 years. Steam-power was only dominant for about 25 years, and as soon as possible after 1900, everyone converted to electric power as they were able.

The Wilkinson family of Rhode Island, was a very talented mechanical-blacksmith-machinist family following the Revolutionary War. Oziel the father, with his sons, built an advanced steel-mill that supposedly put out the finest "blister steel" in America. He did work for the Navy, primarily anchors. Also metal work for the textile mills, and in addition - a major achievement for the time; nail making - at the peak about 4,000 lbs a day. These included round nails in the 20 to 50P range; for what use I do not know. Another son made the finest wire at the time; and used a horse to draw it (through dies ?). That son also made sewing needles ($ 1 apiece).

The Wilkinson family is the real father of the industrial revolution.. Largely unrecognized for their accomplishments at the time, they gave an immense jump start to the United States economy; which was without input from England - totally home grown. By the 1870s the USA industrial output overtook England's, and the gap has continued to widen to this day.

As many are aware, before young David Wilkinson invented his thread cutting lathe (prior to 1794), ALL lathes before his invention, were primarily wood with a small amount of metal components. ALL turning - wood and metal, was by human muscle-power, using a stationary rest, and in the case of metal - a long lever bar with a metal cutting tip. Descriptive cartoon below.

difference between early lathes.jpg
Pre 1800 on the left of course.

David Wilkinson's threading lathe below, designed to produce press screws turned by a hand-wheel. A few years later, he modified it into a general-purpose lathe that was widely adopted.
David Wilkinson Lathe.jpg
With direct drive from the water-wheel, he had access to a good 20 - 30 hp on the spindle work-driver. With a 20' bed, and the capability of turning a bar of steel at least 12' long and 6-8" dia, he had a real industrial class engine-lathe.

Contrast this fact with the English claim for Maudslay being the inventor of the Engine-Lathe. D W beat Maudslay by a few years. Maudslay's lathe had no bed, was foot-treadle powered ( 1/10hp ) capability of turning about 1" dia ~20" long, with a maximum cut of only 2 or 3 thousandths deep. His machine was small enough to carry with one hand. Would anyone now or then, order ANYTHING for their shop work that had a 1/10hp motor ?

english claim.jpg

I have at least 5 images of very old USA Engine-Lathes with a uniquely American and almost identical design. Plus there are known to be probably a dozen other Engine-Lathes in the USA with identical features to my images. Since we know from an Act of Congress that David Wilkinson's design was used on at least 200 Engine-Lathes working in the USA Armories by 1848, not counting Engine-Lathes in private use, it would seem to be reasonable to conclude that these very old Engine-Lathes with an uniquely American identical design, are survivors of the original David Wilkinson design. To think that they are possibly the result of some other unknown inventor, who was inadvertently never mentioned in the USA historical records; is imo, unreasonable.

Therefore, the evidence seems to show that the David Wilkinson design had 4 sharp-angled rails [gage] for the way-guides; with a chain driven feed for the cutting mechanism carriage, and with a RACK AND PINION supplement to the chain drive.. .
Early example of David Wilkinson design.jpg
Image of a very old Engine-Lathe from the Wilkinson Mill museum in Pawtucket, Rhode Island.

Part one of two, part 2 to follow in the next post.

A summary of the evolvement of the Engine-Lathe in the USA part 2 of 2

Part 2 of 2 A summary of the evolvement of the Engine-Lathe in the USA part 2 of 2

The latest known example of this uniquely American design, was this machine built in 1833 and used until ~1900. Photograph below. This is a very good example of the David Wilkinson design.
1833 Wilkinson design.jpg

At the time this well developed American design was produced in 1833, the English were still experimenting on different configurations for the Engine-Lathe.

In the 1840s, the Scots experimented extensively with different configurations for engine-lathe bed-ways.

Since the diagonal square configuration was in use in America by 1860, we would have to conclude this was a development from the 1850s.
way diagram.jpg

Below : American made by Gage, Warner & Whitney. Engine-Lathe, very early 1860s. Note the "V" ways.
Early 1860s American Engine Lathe.jpg

The final evolvement in engine-lathe design as I am able to see it; was the precision rack for cutting-feed, attached above the lead-screw. This had to await the invention of the shaper about 1900 and subsequent gear and rack generators. The last item I see was the auxiliary bar-driver for the rack and pinion driver-gear for cutting feeds. Then, we have the example of the 1946 American Pacemaker.. Which is in my view, the final evolvement for the Engine-Lathe as used for medium size manufactured parts up to 20' length, and 18" in diameter.

1946 American Pacemaker.jpg

When I use the Inet for reference information on the historical development of industrial machinery, I keep coming across site articles with peculiar English spelling and style. They generally claim that some person in England invented the machine first, and where his town was located. They seldom if ever, mention anyone from elsewhere. All this from a very small country less than the size of Louisiana. That is just too much to swallow.

These are the sites that I go to, for reference; and now -also - most of my contemporaries, and our children, and grand-children.

I hold nothing personal against the English, having had several pleasant visits to their country. But I do find their machinery to be sub-standard for American work. otoh, I think the Swiss machines in general are the best in the world. The German, in my view, are generally over-engineered. The Italian, I have found to be the closest in design to American, and felt very comfortable working with them.

It is my hope that this effort will be an inducement for others to re-examine English claims for doing all things first.. The wheel has been re-invented numerous times. What we are interested in - is who put the ball-bearings in, and who put the rubber tire on.. and above all.. successfully.

Fraternally, George Eller Jacksonville, Fl. Senior Member, American Society of Manufacturing Engineers.

Wilkinson Museum Pictures of early machinery-Birthplace of USA Machine Tool Industry

Wilkinson Plaque.jpg
Birthplace of the American Machine Tool industry

Wilkinson Museum Pict.jpg
Inside the Museum

Wilkinson Museum.jpg
A typical David Wilkinson design Engine-Lathe in the foreground

Wilkinson Museum 2 A.jpg
I am unsure of what machine is on the left. A nice picture of a Wilkinson design Engine-Lathe in the foreground.

Below is a copy of a painting of the water-wheel power system
Wilkinson Mill Power.jpg
A commenter writes : "Picture shows waterwheel (interpreters called it a one quarter undershot, picture calls it a breastshot waterwheel), governor (triangular spinning balls), drive shaft, and planer on upper floor all of which can be seen inside the mill"

Hope to put more up about this most significant historical information. I am thinking none of this has been posted on the PM forum before.

Fraternally, George

The oldest known Engine-Lathe in America and a David Wilkinson design

This machine was positioned at the Wilkinson Mill Museum at Pawtucket Rhode Island - downstairs next to the restored water-wheel power system.

Images below..
1 David Wilkinson.jpg
2 David Wilkinson.jpg
3 David Wilkinson.jpg
Pawtucket ChainDrive_3.jpg

I would like to date this Engine-Lathe 1795 to 1799. There is a good possibility that the machine was made by David Wilkinson himself.

I've included below the same basic design with a slightly more advanced design from the Museum at Windsor Vt. The Windsor Lathe must be about 1800 to 1810. It would still be the second oldest Engine-Lathe in the USA, and also a David Wilkinson design.

Windsor Vt StoneBed Lathe.JPG

Hopefully more to come, George

George -

I fully understand your pride in early industrial achievement in the USA, but I think it has led you to make claims that are dubious. The points that I would query are numerous, but for starters:

Please provide citations that show that the colonies were prevented from trading with each other (buying and selling textiles for example) or within a colony or with Britain by law. I assume you are referring to the Navigation Acts? If so - please specify what part of those acts prevented New England textile manufacturers trading with the other colonies or selling their products locally or to Britain. My understanding is that they did all of those things.

After the revolution, the colonies were protected from British imports by very large tarriff walls. That probably had a lot to do with them staying with water power - they did not have to compete - comment?

"The Wilkinson family is the real father of the industrial revolution". I am quite prepared to accept that Wilkinson was a clever man, but your statement completely ignores early British pioneers. The Industrial Revolution started in Britain before David Wilkinson was born. Perhaps you have an alternative time line for the Industrial Revolution - if so please describe it.

Please show how Wilkinson's "screw threading machine" was able to cut screw threads of different pitches through the use of change wheels - the very essence of an engine lathe (as in Maudslay).

Your comments about peculiar spelling don't help you to support your arguments.

From Wikipedia.

Samuel Slater (June 9, 1768 – April 21, 1835) was an early English-American industrialist known as the "Father of the American Industrial Revolution" (a phrase coined by Andrew Jackson) and the "Father of the American Factory System." In the UK he was called "Slater the Traitor" [2] because he brought British textile technology to America, modifying it for United States use. He learned textile machinery as an apprentice to a pioneer in the British industry. Immigrating to the United States at the age of 21, he designed the first textile mills, and later went into business for himself, developing a family business with his sons. A wealthy man, he eventually owned thirteen spinning mills, and had developed tenant farms and company towns around his textile mills, such as Slatersville, Rhode Island.

Phil

There is a myth which seems to hold sway mainly in the USA that "America invented Everything" It is very hard to convince any American of the existence of this myth, because it is taught in American schools. American "History" is a movable feast. If you really don't believe me, do some WORLD research on people like Edison, who claimed to be the inventor of so much, when he actually was only the holder of the first american patent for someone elses invention, which he built his version of, like for instance, the light buld, moving pictures, recording sound, he did them all, but he was not the first, or the best, except that is, in the USA, where he held the first USA patent.

The OP's posts have an odd jingoistic slant. It appears to be a "I came up with a hypothesis, now let me skew everything to prove it"; vs objective research. To say American is the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution is just flat out ridiculous. And this is coming from an American, myself. You Brits did some absolutely amazing stuff in regards mechanization as industry was gearing up.

Deleted inflamatory posts. Please limit conversation to the OP's topic or I will close the thread. If a reader finds the tone or content disagreeable, please consider ignoring the thread & not responding.

Mod

Thank you Bill, for a polite reply. My comments interspersed into your text in RED

George -

I fully understand your pride in early industrial achievement in the USA, but I think it has led you to make claims that are dubious. The points that I would query are numerous, but for starters:

Please provide citations that show that the colonies were prevented from trading with each other (buying and selling textiles for example) or within a colony or with Britain by law. I assume you are referring to the Navigation Acts? If so - please specify what part of those acts prevented New England textile manufacturers trading with the other colonies or selling their products locally or to Britain. My understanding is that they did all of those things.

Sorry, your understanding is not correct. But to simplify the issue, the real issue was England was "dumping" 3rd rate goods on the American Market..

After the revolution, the colonies were protected from British imports by very large tarriff walls. That probably had a lot to do with them staying with water power - they did not have to compete - comment?

Being fortunate or unfortunate, I have had the distinct privilege of operating a steam-powered line-shaft facility. Had I have had the choice, I would have chosen the water-wheel system. America was forced to switch to steam-power in most cases after 1870 because of lack of suitable water-wheel sites for the exploding economy which had a tendency to follow steam railroads.

"The Wilkinson family is the real father of the industrial revolution". I am quite prepared to accept that Wilkinson was a clever man,

He was far more than clever. In the machine-tool industry, his engine-lathe design was unchallenged for nearly 50 years. Because there was none better.

but your statement completely ignores early British pioneers.

Because they had absolutely no input into American Machine-Tool development before 1840, and it is debatable for any input thereafter.

The Industrial Revolution started in Britain before David Wilkinson was born. Perhaps you have an alternative time line for the Industrial Revolution - if so please describe it.

By the 1870s America had surpassed England in Industrial output; and that all by itself. Now by the ever increasing disparity, the effect is : that to the world, it is the United States that supplied the industrial revolution.

Please show how Wilkinson's "screw threading machine" was able to cut screw threads of different pitches through the use of change wheels - the very essence of an engine lathe (as in Maudslay).

As I've written before, the United States never adopted an English standard thread. Threading on a Lathe is not the priority that you describe. What looked good prior to 1900, was probably what was put on the part.

Your comments about peculiar spelling don't help you to support your arguments.

American English has become the world standard.

An old book I came across on Google books stated that Wilkinson built a engine lathe in 1806 with a 3 point weighted rest that may have been able to traverse without manual activation. It goes on to state that this style of lathe with chain driven slide rest became the standard. I will see if I can find it again.

An old book I came across on Google books stated that Wilkinson built a engine lathe in 1806 with a 3 point weighted rest that may have been able to traverse without manual activation. It goes on to state that this style of lathe with chain driven slide rest became the standard. I will see if I can find it again.

Hi cnc,

He compared the "3 point" to a milking stool versus a 4 legged chair. Keeping in mind, that in his time, everyone had a milk cow, even in the larger cities. The 3 point support system is used on the "fanciest" inspection tables, as you probably know. It would be most interesting to find out more about the ability to traverse without manual activation.

One of the puzzles to most of us whom have not actually seen one of his machines, is precisely what purpose was the large hand wheel next to the head-stock on all of at least the early designed machines ?

Best, George

George -

You have not provided the citations or evidence that I requested to back up your claims. All you have provided are more unsupported assertions.

I do not think that there is any point in continuing this discussion with you - your responses and the style and content of your initial posting are quite sufficient for any reader to form their own conclusions about the merits of your argument.

I have not been up close to any of the early lathes with the large wheels. From the pictures my best guess is the wheel is the hand wheel for manually transvering the slide as these particular ones do not have the rack exposed at the front of the lathe. One of the early lathes that the Smithsonian is in possession of has the wheel on the right side of the lathe and it drives a pinion. The rack is bolted to the slide. The other larger wood bed lathe at the Smithsonian has the rack teeth down running inside the lathe and the rack seems to be in the right spot to line up with the large hand wheel as can be seen in picture two. The rack on the lathe at Slater mill does not make any sense as there is no pinion on the slide.
deliveryService

deliveryService

As you can see in this angle of the Slater mill lathe where oh where is the pinion gear?
44936d1330709019-early-lathe-corn-field-chaindrive_3.jpg

How many more of these argumentative threads about who did what first do we have to have? It is a ridiculous waste of time. Maudslay and Wilkinson both built early lathes and people copied both of them, they also both got their ideas from things that came before them.

Deleted more argumentative posts. I'm not closing the thread at this point because the OP is trying to make a point with an attempt at citation, and it is on topic in this forum. Once again, if a reader is not inclined to discuss the points in question, please forgo posting a follow-up.

Deleted more argumentative posts. I'm not closing the thread at this point because the OP is trying to make a point with an attempt at citation, and it is on topic in this forum. Once again, if a reader is not inclined to discuss the points in question, please forgo posting a follow-up.

My post was not argumentative, I was making a comment.

Neither was mine. I asked politely for evidence and citations to back up the assertions made by the OP and we didn't get any. I simply said that it wasn't worth continuing a discussion without that and that readers could form their own conclusions based on the style of the assertions etc ...

If you delete the comments saying that there is no evidence for the claims, then you are leaving the impression that the readers of the thread generally agree with them or do not disagree sufficiently to say so. I suspect that is far from the case.

My apologies for deleting too much. Its easy to sweep up posts on the basis of keywords while scrolling by and delete them along with the others. I'll review more closely and undelete, you should see them above shortly. Threads like this frequently end up as a judgement call, particularly when they are active and often there isn't a good choice and moderation turns into a hatchet job.

I am not taking a position on the OP's topic.

Mod

The mystery deepens

I have not been up close to any of the early lathes with the large wheels. From the pictures my best guess is the wheel is the hand wheel for manually transvering the slide as these particular ones do not have the rack exposed at the front of the lathe. One of the early lathes that the Smithsonian is in possession of has the wheel on the right side of the lathe and it drives a pinion. The rack is bolted to the slide. The other larger wood bed lathe at the Smithsonian has the rack teeth down running inside the lathe and the rack seems to be in the right spot to line up with the large hand wheel as can be seen in picture two. The rack on the lathe at Slater mill does not make any sense as there is no pinion on the slide.
deliveryService

deliveryService

As you can see in this angle of the Slater mill lathe where oh where is the pinion gear?
44936d1330709019-early-lathe-corn-field-chaindrive_3.jpg

More images below :
I think this is an older picture when a previous owner had apparently modified the lathe for wood-turning. The later(?) picture has evidences of restoration.

1 David Wilkinson.jpg

Wilkinson close up.jpg

It also looks to me like modifications-repair have been made on the right corner of the carriage.

Could that previous owner have removed the pinion ?

I think the whole spindle has been reworked, a new spindle shaft with key-way barely visible in the close-up, along with at least one step-pulley replaced with a modern, and a modern face-plate with a {bite-ing} driver.. along with a number of other items..

Which brings us back to the main hand-wheel.. What does it do ?

The mystery deepens, George

ps excuse my correction, the Slater mill museum is next door to the Wilkinson museum, this machine is from the Wilkinson museum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back