What's new
What's new

Abene X axis backlash adjustor

TomBoctou

Hot Rolled
I didn't realize that my Abene VHF-3 was supposed to have an external adjuster for the X axis screw backlash - the hole it's supposed to be in is empty. Can anyone describe what's supposed to be in the hole? I've got the parts manual from machine #3971, the manual that I see commonly passed around, but it doesn't show what goes in the hole, just that it's there.

Wondering if your machine is a true "universal",in that does it have a swivel on the "X" axis to allow for cutting a helix?
If not, perhaps the backlash adjuster is an option not fitted to the plain ,non swivel table machines.

In general backlash adjusters consist of two nuts on the lead screw that are connected by a mechanism to move ,counter rotate or apply spring pressure between them that in effect
preloads the nuts against each other.

Usually used with precautions against operating the axis in "rapid" when the backlash eliminator is applied....Will cause accelerated screw wear even in normal use.

Cheers Ross

Wondering if your machine is a true "universal",in that does it have a swivel on the "X" axis to allow for cutting a helix?
If not, perhaps the backlash adjuster is an option not fitted to the plain ,non swivel table machines.

In general backlash adjusters consist of two nuts on the lead screw that are connected by a mechanism to move ,counter rotate or apply spring pressure between them that in effect
preloads the nuts against each other.

Usually used with precautions against operating the axis in "rapid" when the backlash eliminator is applied....Will cause accelerated screw wear even in normal use.

Cheers Ross

My machine isn't a universal. The factory drawings show the backlash adjuster, and I see it on all VHF3 mills I can find pictures of. There's a hole where the adjuster should be, but it's empty and there don't appear to be threads inside.

Fortunately there's very little backlash without it.

My machine isn't a universal. The factory drawings show the backlash adjuster, and I see it on all VHF3 mills I can find pictures of. There's a hole where the adjuster should be, but it's empty and there don't appear to be threads inside.

Tom
A 10mm allen key will work . It just drives a wedge into the split nut . Mine has a knurled knob on the end and stays in the hole .Turn clockwise to eliminate BL
Ted

Tom
A 10mm allen key should fit . Clockwise to eliminate backlash . Mine has a knurled knob on the end and stays in the hole .
Ted

Back