What's new
What's new

Accu finish wheels

220swift

Stainless
I have a couple questions on the preferred wheels for the accu finish
sharpening lathe tooling and resharpening inserts for home use.
I have a 600 grit wheel on my sharpener now. I bought the Accu finish 2 used so I'm not sure how worn my wheel is . It seems to cut well and will put a mirror finish on the tool bit.
I was wondering if I should get a finer grit wheel and if I would see the difference in my final finish ?

Thanks
Hal

Last edited:
I don’t believe Accu Finish sells the machines anymore, but they do (as of two months ago) sell wheels. I got a few extra in case they also stop selling wheels. I use 360 for roughing carbide and 1200 for quick touch ups. Was what they recommended for scraper sharpening.

Really like their machine.

The 1200 will give a finer finish. Whether you will notice it depends on how close you look.

I would suggest getting the 260 or 180 grit so you can shape your own lathe tools with the higher cobalt or powdered metal stock and do it in a reasonable time. Not for production- but very handy.

For occasional use, cheap thin diamond discs are available on ebay. I made a bunch of aluminum backing plates on the lathe. Can't remember, but I think the diamond discs came with contact adhesive on them, or you can double face tape.

I turn wood using the polished, high rake ccgt and scgt inserts made for aluminum, and I can just kiss them with 3000 grit to keep them super sharp, or change the nose radius.

We get buy with 600 for most things, 1200 for fine finishing. We don't often use the ceramic wheel and spray diamond powder. We bought the unit almost 20 years ago and it's probably time to get new disks!

Back