What's new
What's new

Accuracy AR

CarbideBob

Diamond
My employee tells me he can dive nails at 100 yards with an off the shelf AR-15 and out out the box ammo with a scope.
This would be 1/4 inch spread and a lower cost gun and not hand loaded ammo.
Should I tell him 100 to one bet. $100 against $10,000. Just the easy 10 putts with no wind.
I do not think this possible on a fixed rest with this gun.
Maybe I am just wrong.
Bob

Last edited:
My employee tells me he can dive nails at 100 yards with an off the shelf AR-15 and out out the box ammo with a scope.
Should I tell him 100 to one bet. $100 against $10,000. Just the easy 10 putts with no wind.
Maybe I am just wrong.
Bob
He’s full of shit take his money
Don

He's full of it. I shoot a precision Palma rifle in .223 using handloads and premium bullets. Target at 700m small ring is 80mm. Take his money.IMG_20230429_153758_HDR.jpg

Other than exaggerating a little how good is the employee otherwise? Where will you be if this causes him to get mad and leave?

Back in the day Mr. Kleinguenther was one of my customers and I watched them test fire a 375 H&H magnum. Big 3/8 bullets made a single hole they estimated to be 1/8 inch center to center. They said that their accurized 375H&Hs routinely did that when test fired. Could an off the shelf AR do that occasionally with a box of premium accuracy store bought ammo? I would guess that it could happen.

Maybe I am just wrong.
Bob
1689947353733.png

.25 MOA is extremely difficult to achieve with some of the highest end rigs, like nelson said, take his money.

For what it is worth...

SPR configuration: 20" Schneider 7-twist P5 match chamber barrel shimmed concentric to receiver / Knights free float RAS / Colt M4 upper & BCG / Mega Machine Shop lower / Geissele SSA-E / upper Marine Tex epoxy bedded to lower (zero play need drift to pop pins).
Current configurations.jpg

100-yards Sierra 77g Matchking .001" off lands single loaded (exceeds magazine length) shot from rest.
AR15 BEST GROUP.jpg

Impossible to do with "off the shelf" AR and any factory load, in my humble opinion.

I usually reply to those guys with:
That's pretty impressive! And leave it alone. You know he's full of crap, so does everyone else. It's just not worth my energy fighting about his ego.
🤷
There have been a couple times that I was taking by surprise by an absolutely absurd statement and I replied "Bullshit!" before I could catch myself.
🤣

That's more than impressive Karl.

It's been my experience throughout the past 50 yrs or more, that the one's bragging the most about there ability's and/or performance of something they own are about universally 99.999% full of shit. They can sure talk the talk when off the rifle range, I haven't seen one of em be able to back it up anywhere close to what they have to say even once. It's the quiet one's who don't say much you don't want to bet against. We used to shoot at 10 life sized blue bottle fly outlines @ 100yrds with proper and built for the job bench rest rifles. Head shots were the goal and body or a wing hit scored a lot less. Those fly heads would be about the size of an average small nail head. I could maybe drive those nails with my 6 mm ppc after zeroing the scope to the current conditions. And those conditions would have to be 100% perfect.

But that's with a custom single shot action, barrel and chambering $4k+ rifle, $700 + 36 X scope, load development, semi permanently glued in action, way better than any factory bullets, case neck turning etc, etc. On a real good day and with me doing everything correctly, it will shot 5 @ 100 yrds under to sometimes well under .100" center - center. But I still wouldn't ever bet real money I could consistently drive those nails unless maybe they were something like a shingle nail or larger. A bone stock AR and factory ammo? Not a chance in hell. I would bet a lot he couldn't do it even with my BR rifle.

Hand loaded ammunition with bullet seated .001" off the lands (rifling) of the barrel.

Last edited:
Yea maybe off the shelf from White Oak Armory or Compass Lake, or a few others that build competition service rifles and Hi-power rifles, the rifles may be capable but the shooter is the question mark !!!!!!!!!! Definitely not your off the shelf 1000-1500.00 dollar AR

Is he a hillbilly or from hillbilly ancestry? I am not saying this in a derogatory way. It is part of the "Cracker Culture" to tell tall tales that are utterly unbelievable with a perfectly straight face and it is acceptable in that culture. I have run into these folks dozens of times over the years (as I'm sure you all have). It used to make me roll my eyes and think "what an a__hole". Now I find it amusing (when I am not in too much of a hurry - which is not often). All men are born liars.

yeah he might be a hillbilly but he grew up shooting for food, so he just might be good at it...(not necessarily this guy, but I have seen a guy with a home built rifle shame the guys with the high dollar rigs before)

He's full of it. I shoot a precision Palma rifle in .223 using handloads and premium bullets. Target at 700m small ring is 80mm. Take his money.View attachment 402972
nice!
i know a bunch of professional shooters that do the same thing and go all over shooting 800 and 1000M basically need to be 8V's or better which you know what that means but to everyone else, thats 1/2MOA or half a "minute of angle" or about 0.5inch per 100 yards
That is very tough to get at distance.
100M you can make a 0.223 cloverleaf(aka they are touching at the edges) if you and your gun is good, I've only done that once on a 3 shot group @100 yards.
my average V bulls at 800M was about 4/10 with 2-3 others in bullseye within MOA with my 0.243 win heavy barrel, custom bedded stock and just shooting off a tripod only.

So yes, that guy is full of shit.

Back