What's new
What's new

Accuracy AR

its possible, I tell people all the time go to rock river arms, armalite, even dpms when they were in business. Buy a CMP legal gun, start shooting , its capable of winning camp perry.
Ive got a RRA varmint and a DPMS ar 10, pretty much off the shelf except i slotted the ff handquard for a sling mount/hand stop for prone shooting. at 100yds with Black Hills match ammo they would shoot .5-.75 moa out of the box. I got it down even further with handloads. That RRA is the only gun i ever cleaned the 600yd stage with in a match 200-13x,

Now can this guy do it? idk

I am pretty happy if I am holding all shots inside 3/4” or so at a hundred with NM irons so ~.5” c-c.
Mid level match barrel and top shelf single stage trigger w/top shelf commercial ammo.

I don’t know if holding the guys feet to the fire on this is really needed- “a tack driver”, “drives nails” is usually just casual talk for a nice shooting rifle.

Last edited:
.25 moa group is very possible but not likely. You put up 10k on a 3 round group or something and you're bound to get fucked

I usually reply to those guys with:
That's pretty impressive! And leave it alone. You know he's full of crap, so does everyone else. It's just not worth my energy fighting about his ego.
🤷
There have been a couple times that I was taking by surprise by an absolutely absurd statement and I replied "Bullshit!" before I could catch myself.
🤣
My feelings exactly. Whether it's a coworker or acquaintance in a social group best not to call them on it. Why start a fight with someone who's obviously insecure and could easily become an enemy.

one of my buddies (friend of a friend, retired) was known in the marines for being able to shoot at 1000 yards with iron sights, was one of the best marksmen way back in the day. blew my mind.

one of my buddies (friend of a friend, retired) was known in the marines for being able to shoot at 1000 yards with iron sights, was one of the best marksmen way back in the day. blew my mind.

I’m a ok shot and for me the scope doesn’t really help me at 100.
I actually shoot better with the aperture NM irons.
Hold, breathing and trigger rule for me when trying to drop inside of 1 MOA.
I think I do all of those better with the simpler sight picture of irons

Mistake.....Noel Pope was a motorcycle racer who tried to set a speed record at Bonneville ......and crashed when his streamline shell became unstable ,in the same way as the Indian speed record streamliner .....lesson not learnt.

I dropped this three shot group at 50 yards offhand pistol with a HS Citation 106

It WAS a random aggregate but it was/still is fun to think I held for the shots and landed them on target.

D8509B37-4C21-4676-8548-19064987F023.jpeg

If I can ever make the time I’d like to get out and get some more practice in at the range.
I’d be quite happy if I could drop everything inside of 2” offhand pistol at 25 yards.

Just now I guess maybe I can hold 4”….

Easy. Drive ~100 nails each side by side and form, say four inch circle from them. Almost quarenteed to hit on each shot. :ack2:

My brother built an expensive target Ar and the barrel cost as much as a cheap gun. The gun probably weighs over 15 lb. On a good day with no wind and precision reloads it’ll probably do 1/2 MOA. Maybe a little better. A lot of it comes down to the shooter, ammo and wind. You also need other expensive things like a good trigger, bench and optics.

The gun is pretty useless for all situations except for bench shooting.

Back