What's new
What's new

Aciera F4 Round Head Oil Leak, Need Help

drzipper

Hot Rolled
Aciera F4 Round Head Oil Leak, Need Help,

I have a major oil leak, When I fill the head it basically pours out the oil through the rack and pinion and the entire OD of the quill bushing. Does anyone have a section view so I can study where the leak originates?

I have a schematic of an F5 square head but it is really not any use.

Regards,

David

Is the head designed to be filled with oil to begin with ? :confused:

I experience the same with the Deckels I have, but cannot talk about a major oil leak.

The user is supposed give the oiler at the top of the vertical head a few pump shots everyday, but that's more of a way of keeping everything "wet" than an oilbath system.
The oil in excess inevitably finds its way down through the quill and rack, and ends up on the table...

I suppose it's something you get used to.

Yes, the F4 & F5 vertical heads have oil baths with sight glasses. This lubricates the bevel gears and their bearings. It does not lubricate the spindle bearings, which are inside a quill, and are grease-lubricated.

As for the leak, tell me more. Does the oil leak out when the mill is just sitting, or only when you run it? My F4 does not leak oil when sitting or running, although there may be a drip very occasionally when running. On the other hand, my F5 leaks quite a bit when running, and continues to drip for a while after stopping. I keep a pie tin on the table when not running the machine. The F4 and F5 heads are nearly identical, except on the F4, which is about 10 years newer, has an oil seal around the spindle and the F5 does not. I think that is what explains the difference in leakage, and suggests that the design without the oil seal could have been better, shall we say. The leak is not a big problem; I just don't wear dress shirts when running that machine! I find I have to top up the oil with perhaps 20-30cc once or twice a month.

Aciera F4 & F5 Exploded Parts Diagram.jpg

Hi Rklopp,

Good to know the spindle bearings are independent. The only zerk I am aware of is the bevel gears. Would you post a photo of the spindle bearing lube point?

The oil leak is continuous. If I operate the quill, oil literally pours out the rack and pinion. It appears to leak in the full 360 around the quill as well. The flow does not increase in operation.

TIA,
David

David,
There is no spindle bearing lube point. You have to take the quill out and apart to lube the spindle bearings. Done properly, a spindle lube job should last for years in a relatively clean environment. The manual says 10,000 hours interval for spindle re-greasing. Search on PM for posts showing my quills disassembled, and also search AlfaGTA's posts on re-greasing Deckel spindles, as that procedure follows the same rules about cleaning, cleanliness, grease type, and grease quantity. I strongly recommend you service the spindle if you cannot confirm that it was done properly within the last couple of years.

Given that oil pours out of the rack and pinion, I wonder whether you have a cracked or porous casting. The only path for oil should be via splashing onto the side of the quill when the machine is running. When stopped, no oil should travel up that high. I suggest you remove the quill, top up the oil, and see if it drains into the honed bore where the quill was before you removed it. Be ready to catch the quill as you crank the pinion downward; it will run right off the end of the rack.

By the way, both my F4 and F5 have screw plugs rather than zerks for oiling the vertical spindle housings.

RKlopp

P.S. I just realized yours is a round-head machine, and therefore older than either of mine. I have no manual for a machine that old, so don't how much of the above applies to your machine.

Last edited:
I would greatly appreciate it if you could send it to me
David,
do you still need a drawing for the "round head" version of the mill??

I might be able to help

Peter
I would greatly appreciate it if you could send it to me

Back