What's new
What's new

Aciera F4 Wiring diagram or info on power feed workings.

SunRa

Aluminum
Hi. I recently acquired an F4 that was in mid restoration. The power feed box had the motor replaced but not installed and all of the wiring had been removed and a vfd was equipped. It came with the replacement motor but my question is how was the power feed motor wired and does it run constantly while the machine is on or does it turn on when the power feed is actuated? If so, where is the switch? How does the rapid traverse work? Is there supposed to be a two speed motor or does the foot pedal engage a second set of gears?

This is the earlier round head style if that makes a difference.

Thanks! Looking forward to getting this guy up and running!

Sun Ra
The power feed motor should have its own on-off switch adjacent to the spindle motor switch and coolant motor switch. The motor runs continuously as long as it is switched on. Feed is controlled by clutches. The rapid traverse is actuated by a clutch inside the feed gearbox when you step on the foot pedal across the front base of the machine.

I have a later square-head machine, but I think the guts are essentially the same as the round-head machine. I did a VFD conversion and motor swap when I got mine, because the machine came with 575-V motors for Canadian power and I only have single phase power here. I mounted a Hoffman box on the side of the machine to hold two VFDs, one for the spindle and one for the feed. On my machine, the feed motor was flange mounted, but the flange was an oddball that I could not find on a replacement motor. I ended up splicing the old motor's flange onto the new motor. The machine has run great for years.

I am in Redwood City, so if you are ever up here from Santa Cruz, I'd be happy to show you my F4.

RKlopp

Sun Ra
The power feed motor should have its own on-off switch adjacent to the spindle motor switch and coolant motor switch. The motor runs continuously as long as it is switched on. Feed is controlled by clutches. The rapid traverse is actuated by a clutch inside the feed gearbox when you step on the foot pedal across the front base of the machine.

I have a later square-head machine, but I think the guts are essentially the same as the round-head machine. I did a VFD conversion and motor swap when I got mine, because the machine came with 575-V motors for Canadian power and I only have single phase power here. I mounted a Hoffman box on the side of the machine to hold two VFDs, one for the spindle and one for the feed. On my machine, the feed motor was flange mounted, but the flange was an oddball that I could not find on a replacement motor. I ended up splicing the old motor's flange onto the new motor. The machine has run great for years.

I am in Redwood City, so if you are ever up here from Santa Cruz, I'd be happy to show you my F4.

RKlopp
Thanks RKlopp! Thanks exactly the info I needed. I guess I need another vfd. And I just might take you up on the offer and pop ver the hill.

Back