What's new
What's new

ACME Turret Lathe - worth it?

steamandsteel

Aluminum
Hello all,

Ran across this ACME turret lathe, seller is asking $2500. Seems to be pretty well tooled up, and looks like a very stout machine.

My experience has mainly been in South Bend 14.5-16" lathes, but I like any old American iron.

I can't quite identify this unit, but it looks very close to an Acme No. 1 model, or a No. 2 model
Also looks close to a No. 5R/W or a No. 6 R/W
Catalog specs on vintagemachinery say nearly 7klbs on No 1 and 2, and almost 5klbs on 5/6 models

I don't have any problem moving heavy machinery. The price seems fair, but want to know if this machine is worth it, or if they are prone to some sort of odd issues/failures.

3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

10.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

From seller's description:

Acme turret lathe, with taper attachment. Comes with quick change post, boring bar, carbide cutters, knurling attachment, 3 and 4 jaw chucks.
220 power, has pads to sit on.
I think the swing is 7”-8”.
Turret does function, has power feed, has auto stops on front and back.
Also a grinding attachment not pictured if interested.
Few other things in pictures. Will load you.

Thank you in advance,

Is the seller a coyote that has been chasing a roadrunner? :-)

If you have work for it that will get out the door faster using it, then it is a bargain.

That's a rare bird to have a taper attachment, most turret lathes don't until you get into the W & S 3A's, 4A's, 5A's. And they are usually mounted on the front side of the machie.

From whats shown,there is virtually ZERO tooling.......tooling is all sorts of attachments that bolt to the turret faces .....box tools ,grooving tools,endstops+centredrill holders,various kinds of lever slide tools,threading die heads ,releasing tap holders .........From whats shown ,ie a live centre ,the machine has been used as a lathe substitute.........IMHO ,$250 would pull it up,and then there is the cost of moving it.

If someone offered to install that machine in my shop completely free, I would say no. The floor space is to valuable. I have a turret lathe with a 10" hole that I will never install, even though there are times I could use the big bore.

What doo you intend to use it for ?

General engine lathe work. Shafts, bushings, center drilling, etc. I don't have a need for a turret lathe specifically, but it seems like it could come in handy.

From whats shown,there is virtually ZERO tooling.......tooling is all sorts of attachments that bolt to the turret faces .....box tools ,grooving tools,endstops+centredrill holders,various kinds of lever slide tools,threading die heads ,releasing tap holders .........From whats shown ,ie a live centre ,the machine has been used as a lathe substitute.........IMHO ,$250 would pull it up,and then there is the cost of moving it.

Valid observation. That makes sense. Cost to move would be maybe ten gallons of gas. Sounds like the price is a bit up there?

General engine lathe work. Shafts, bushings, center drilling, etc. I don't have a need for a turret lathe specifically, but it seems like it could come in handy.

Valid observation. That makes sense. Cost to move would be maybe ten gallons of gas. Sounds like the price is a bit up there?
Well then it's not handy at all for your work at all.

The price is up there where a person could find a decent heavy engine lathe if patient or willing to travel a little. Turret lathes are for production runs of at least dozens or they're not worth setting up usually. I actually learned machining one off parts on a turret lathe because it was all dad could afford at the time. But given the option an engine lathe is far more versatile and far cheaper to completely tool up for almost any job. Turret lathe tooling is very specific to each machine and task.

Edit: these days turret lathes are often scrapped because not many machinists are willing to even pay scrap price for one.

Attachments

• Standard Tools.jpg
    Standard Tools.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thank you all for the insightful replies, and information.Crazy the amount of non-standard stuff that goes with these turret lathes.

I'll wait and see if he ends up selling it for scrap, but otherwise will be patient and look for the right one.

Happy Thanksgiving all

"General engine lathe work. Shafts, bushings, center drilling, etc."

Absolutely the wrong machine for the job, you're making the smart decision.

Id buy it if it was just up the road ......exercise in negotiation getting the price down to scrap value..........When I first started ,I was about to buy a capstan lathe,when a big damaged centre lathe popped up at just the right time.....used .lathes were very expensive in those days.

Back