What's new
What's new

Adding 110vac outlet to a cnc?

Speaking of holy smokes, I think they finally changed the ratings, but remember when
Shop Vac and others had those insanely high HP ratings? That was locked rotor current, that is basically what it would pull before it goes up in smoke due to a bearing failure or the like. So you have like a 10 gallon vacuum 8hp rated that will plug into a typical 15 amp 110v outlet that can pull almost 50 amps if it is ready to blow up. I do think the plug on that machine did say 5 amp max, but would accept a typical 15 amp plug.

This was an old machine "back in the day" even though it had RS-232 that outlet was for a tape reader. I suppose that was the 1980 (when the machine was made) version of the lap top.
Seen that. Shop vac in the tape reader outlet that is clearly marked 5A. Duh, what happened?

These days we run 110v drop to each machine. Clearly mark by the machine disconnect that the 110v outlets have separate disconnect. Keeps cords off the floor better, seems cleaner and easier.

Seen that. Shop vac in the tape reader outlet that is clearly marked 5A. Duh, what happened?

These days we run 110v drop to each machine. Clearly mark by the machine disconnect that the 110v outlets have separate disconnect. Keeps cords off the floor better, seems cleaner and easier.
Better to be safe, too many variables that could cause an issue poaching power off a line that runs a CNC machine, some of them are very sensitive.

It wouldn't even occur:nutter: to me to try and tap into the machine, the time involved is going to be at least equal if not longer then dropping a cord from the ceiling, and less risky to the health of the machine. Seems like an overly complicated way of a solution.

I'm surprised you don't have 110v at each machine. All my machines are up against walls, so I have 110v outlets everywhere, but If I had to have a machine off a wall and needed to drop down the power from the ceiling it would be a no-brainer to drop a 110v line as well. That way your protected back to the breaker box.

---------------------------------------------------

Plan B. (not recomended by OSHA) Run the extention cords on the ground:eek:, once you've tripped over a cord a couple of times, or impailed a chip thru the live leads:( you'll learn to be more carefull......:)

Back