What's new
What's new

Adding a Monarch 10ee Taper Attachment

Chips Everywhere

Cast Iron
Looking into what goes into adding a taper attachment onto a 72' 10ee square dial. I don't need a taper attachment since my other lathe has one, but would like to add one to this machine. I'm not in a rush, and quite patient for parts to come up.

Aside from sourcing all the parts, and making sure the years are compatible. Are there any specific components that needed to be machined, like the saddle or crosslide? or are they already prepped from factory and ready to accept the taper attachment? I have found the parts manual, pictures of the taper attachment and some videos, but its hard to just go off pictures.

BTW, if anyone has one or a parts machine that has one please send me a pm.

I can't say the 1972 era has the same internals as my 1976 machine. That said, my lathe was delivered without a taper attacment BUT, with a telescoping crossfeed screw and bearing block on the back. This is a good check to see if the lathe has a telescoping screw.

I bought a partial taper attachment from here or ebay? It was missing the adjustment gearing and of course the clamp. The castings and everything else was there, it is from an older machine by the lack of drain holes? Everything fits nicely and there were no extra things required to install it. The mounting holes were in the saddle for the taper, no pin holes so alignment can be set to your machine.

Steve's point about a 72 possibly having a telescoping leadscrew means that you will have less parts to source if your machine is so-equipped. However, the way the leadscrew mounted to the machine is different. You will still need the thrust block and the flat bar that fits in the slot on the saddle, which will replace the block that bolts to the end of the saddle.

The taper that I got had the bar and the block is part of the casting unless it was lost? The bar would not be hard to duplicate worst case. The block is nothing special either just some bar stock. As I mentioned above IF there is a thrust block and bearing on the back of the cross-slide then there should be a telescoping leadscrew

The thrust block I was referring to is rectangular and is screwed to the bottom of the rectangular bar. It has a bronze bushing in it and recesses for a pair of thrust bearings at each end.

I had a hard time picturing what the components that you guys were talking about looked like, so after looking around I came across this post:

It looks to be a similar year machine to mine. I should add that my machine has Toolroom stamped on its tag if that means anything, and I do have the top dovetail on the crosslide like the machined pictured:

Pictured are borrowed from the post listed above.
Monarch TA Part 3.jpgMonarch TA Part 2.jpgMonarch TA Part.jpg

I take it that the thrust block is the block on the right, closest to the hole on the flat bar and the flat bar is the bar with the slot?

BTW, what is that rear dovetail used for? I'm guessing there are some attachments that mount there?

BTW, what is that rear dovetail used for? I'm guessing there are some attachments that mount there?

Most commonly a rear toolpost:

10ee_rear_toolpost.jpg

Another option, one I've only seen one of:

10ee_ball_turning_rest.jpg

Back