What's new
What's new

Advice on Clausing drill press

Which way does the idler motor fit in the cover box? For clean airflow, it should be a straight shot: In one louver, then in one end of the motor, out the other end, and then out the opposite louver. In other words, the motor rotation axis would be perpendicular to the louvers.
Yes sir, straight shot through. I'm removing the pulley from the shaft also just to have one less thing to worry about.

Well, I'm tired of waiting for the stainless steel louvers for this project. The only louvers we are running lately are the wrong size and are way too big and we're pretty busy here so I'll have to come up with something else. Sorry but no progress on it yet. Thanks everyone for the help so far and I'll see what I can come up with in the next few days.

Well, I'm tired of waiting for the stainless steel louvers for this project. The only louvers we are running lately are the wrong size and are way too big and we're pretty busy here so I'll have to come up with something else. Sorry but no progress on it yet. Thanks everyone for the help so far and I'll see what I can come up with in the next few days.
I did get to pull the table collar apart and clean and apply new grease to the bearings. No rust but the old grease was dried and clumpy, so I put the ball bearings in a cup of cleaner and got them shiny again. Screenshot_20230523-110528_Gallery.jpg

The good news is that 10 AWG is still easy to work with 😁........unless it's romex and you are putting it in a 20 amp run with a small receptacle box, which I have done before......
I bought some #10 wire at a yard sale. seller called it telephone wire. Double thick insulation, very fine strands like meter lead fine. He said it was designed for pulling inside walls. Not sure what the insulation is but very soft and flexible. Maybe silicone?
Bill D

I bought some #10 wire at a yard sale. seller called it telephone wire. Double thick insulation, very fine strands like meter lead fine. He said it was designed for pulling inside walls. Not sure what the insulation is but very soft and flexible. Maybe silicone?
Bill D
Possibly, I'm not sure. The main wire types I'm familiar with is the THHN, THWN, UF, and Romex wires. Does that #10 have any markings on it? I'm not familiar with the wire that's connected to the 7.5 idol motor, the insulation is THICK on it, I thought it was #10 until I looked closer and found it to be #14........ I was surprised. 😯20230521_115420.jpg

Last edited:
Possibly, I'm not sure. The main wire types I'm familiar with is the THHN, THWN, UF, and Romex wires. Does that #10 have any markings on it? I'm not familiar with the wire that's connected to the 7.5 idol motor, the insulation is THICK on it, I thought it was #10 until I looked closer and found it to be #14........ I was surprised. 😯View attachment 397992
It's UL Appliance Wiring Material (AWM), not suited for use outside of an appliance. A machine tool would be considered an appliance here. Wiring outside of appliances come under the National Electrical Code and the like. Use THHN or the like for the three-phase wiring.

It's UL Appliance Wiring Material (AWM), not suited for use outside of an appliance. A machine tool would be considered an appliance here. Wiring outside of appliances come under the National Electrical Code and the like. Use THHN or the like for the three-phase wiring.
👍#10 THHN is what I have for the 3 phase. Never really thought about a machine tool being considered as an appliance,.... interesting.
Thanks for the education sir!

Back