What's new
What's new

Advice on Tapping 3/8-24 hole in 316

I don't run much 316 or 304, but when I do I use cut taps. I do run a lot of 303 and I still only run cut taps. Just had better luck with 'em....................

Definitely over heated when tapping. No issues drilling hole.

I have noticed OSG form taps getting very hot (and not last all that long as a result) in 304SS.

I tossed in an NOS form tap that I had in the drawer from Jarvis.
Went MUCH better!
I was amazed.

Have not tapped much 304/316 since to replicate, but it was a major change that day!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have noticed OSG form taps getting very hot (and not last all that long as a result) in 304SS.
You remember if that OSG was coated or not? I've used regular osg form taps in SS and they get really hot, but the xpf line meant for harder materials are TiCN coated and have pseudo flutes in them and I've noticed they don't get nearly as hot.

Anything that I have here like that is TICN.
Doo folks offer uncoated tools anymore? (from stock)

The tool from Jarvis that I used was 20 yrs old or more, and was TiN only.

I have noticed the OSG taps being hot anytime that I run a 304 part (very low volume).
But the one time that I tossed the Jarvis in, it was cool.
Cannot say for sure that the next time with a new tool would be the same, but...

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
Tapping fluid could be helpful. Our Blasomill CMP is a non water-miscible cutting fluid, suitable for tapping, among other ranges of application. See attached for further reference.

Attachments

• PIDS Blasotap-Blasomill CMP_00851-04_us 851.pdf
    71.6 KB · Views: 1

Back