What's new
What's new

Advice on tolling up a Speedio

Great tip on the face mill holder! Nikken's have a 1.19" gage length, quite a bit shorter than anything else I've been able to find as well.

Everyone on this thread has pretty much gotten me convinced that short side-locks are the way to go for heavy cutting. :)

Careful with the LyndexNikken face mill adapters. Some of them need to be modified to clear the ATC grippers or ATC arm. Not a big deal but something to watch out for. I threw a $1000 face mill with PCD inserts once. Dooooh!

I've settled on Maritool SK16 for every finishing end mill in my turret. The concentricity is great, the vibration dampening is great and the flexibility of having one collet system is totally worth it. I would also look at Big Kaiser MEGA collets, which are extraordinary, but way more money.

I've been doing some reading on the SK and MEGA collet systems.

The toolholders are very close dimensionally. The collet geometry looks very similar; comparing a SK16 collet to a NBC16, the NBC is 1mm thicker and 3mm shorter. The price difference is, unsurprisingly, pretty stratospheric.

Are the MEGA NBCs really that extraordinary compared to a SK? I mean, you can buy two of Frank's BT30 SK16 toolholders for the same price as a NBC collet wrench.

Congrats on the s500. Loving mine. All my tool holders are Maritool. ER20,ER16,stubby side lock. I have one 3/4" sidelock for some large radius end mills
I use for light cutting at a long reach. I use the shortest holder as much as possible. I have some longer ER16's for reaching below the vise jaws with small tooling. I use a 2"ripper mill in aluminum I really like if I have large flat areas to clear. Also leave an amazing finish in aluminum.

Careful with the LyndexNikken face mill adapters. Some of them need to be modified to clear the ATC grippers or ATC arm. Not a big deal but something to watch out for. I threw a $1000 face mill with PCD inserts once. Dooooh!

Ouch!

Can you comment on the compatibility of the Lyndex/Nikken B3001-0750-1.19 toolholder with a Speedio?

Yep -- I think my plan is to only really use it for face finishing going forward. The optimal Speedio roughing strategy definitely looks like full depth, light radial engagement, and rip around like a banshee. :)

Earlier on, you mentioned that you use ER16 and some ER25. May I ask why you picked ER25 instead of ER32?

I only have 2 ER25 holders, and I use them on bigger drills, which I rarely ever use. I also have ER32 around, but I have almost no use for them outside of very niche applications - holding an AB Tools Dexi Dovetail and my Lang Chip Fan.

Are the MEGA NBCs really that extraordinary compared to a SK? I mean, you can buy two of Frank's BT30 SK16 toolholders for the same price as a NBC collet wrench.

NBC has a couple of things going for it:

1- You can buy on-size ground collets in your standard end mill sizes. They have zero collapse, are super grippy, and have extraordinary concentricity.

2- All NBC collets are made by Big Dishowa and are of crazy amazing quality, up there with high-precision grade Rego Fix. Collet quality is always a big deal to the overall functionality of any collet based system, and I find Frank's SK collets are very good, but they are just not on the level of an NBC collet.

Do either of these things matter? For most job shop work, probably not. You need to be really pushing the envelope in scale, or speed, or precision for this stuff to make a meaningful difference. To that end, while I have a set of MEGA 8 and 13 on hand for development work, all my production Speedio work is done using Maritool SK16.

Great tip on the face mill holder! Nikken's have a 1.19" gage length, quite a bit shorter than anything else I've been able to find as well.

I have not run one personally, but given my more recent conversion to face mills are only for finishing, I might be tempted to look at the OSG Disk Cutter. They designed these around BT30 machines in production environments, and everything about the system is designed to minimize the gauge length to cutting edge. Literally everything. You do need a custom holder for them (reasonably priced).

I think BROTHERFRANK has some experience with them.

NBC has a couple of things going for it:

1- You can buy on-size ground collets in your standard end mill sizes. They have zero collapse, are super grippy, and have extraordinary concentricity.

2- All NBC collets are made by Big Dishowa and are of crazy amazing quality, up there with high-precision grade Rego Fix. Collet quality is always a big deal to the overall functionality of any collet based system, and I find Frank's SK collets are very good, but they are just not on the level of an NBC collet.

Do either of these things matter? For most job shop work, probably not. You need to be really pushing the envelope in scale, or speed, or precision for this stuff to make a meaningful difference. To that end, while I have a set of MEGA 8 and 13 on hand for development work, all my production Speedio work is done using Maritool SK16.

First off, that chip fan is hilarious. :) 160mm?

Thanks for the info on the NBC chucks! Although, I actually thought you could get on-size SK collets in inch diameter from Lyndex-Nikken? (I know Maritool's collets are all collapsing.)

Ouch!

Can you comment on the compatibility of the Lyndex/Nikken B3001-0750-1.19 toolholder with a Speedio?

Should be fine. I think the 1" pilot is the one I've had issues with. Not really a big deal though, when you put it in the magazine with the cutter attached, just check for any interference. You can modify if necessary. Interference will be minimal if any at all. It's just the magazine only, no issues in the spindle. OSG Disc Cutters are nice. Available in 75, 100 and 125mm diameters. Inserts for Aluminum and cast iron. Not my first choice unless I need to get across the part in one pass. A nice 2, 2.5 or 3 inch 45 degree is a good all around cutter. I would just get Mari's cutter and adapter. It will be great.

Yes the Big MGR42 collets will hold on no matter.. Operator thought i turned the program down when we swapped them for 1/2" helical roughers.. thought they were SK but the Big dual angle of the collet seems to hold way more.. or its the bearing nut. Either way Im not friends with my SK collets and have a couple of the Big holders dual contact for 1/2" tools..

The lynex facemill you have to turn the OD down. I just mounted a lathe tool in the vice and jogged it manually.

2.5" 45 facemill seems to cut much easier compared to the 90 Korloy

I have a 1.5" iscar HM390 use it as a facemill in alu mostly. It does a great job.. Maritool made a new arbor for it, takes 1/2" arbor.

All of my roughers are in side locks. Most companies will supply a Weldon flat for a small charge if it isn’t included.

I use ER for all my light milling/variable drill needs. I tend to use mostly ER20 and ER25, a few ER16’s for little stuff and a couple ER32’s for big stuff.

I use SK holders for my Carbide drills, and small delicate tools that I need better than normal precision or tool life from. I buy common shank drills. So I only need a few on size collets.

I got a tooling package with my Brother, I bought my sidelocks from Lyndex because their Er holders were 2-3 times the cost of maritool. The sidelocks were only slightly more. I tried to get my facemill holders from lyndex but had issues with getting the wrong types, it was weird, and wound up buying my 1/2” from Mari.

Back