What's new
What's new

Advice on TRAK TRM Mill

bobbyf

Plastic
Hi,
I've been looking for a knee mill for some time now. Not much local and what I do see usually needs some "easy fix".
My use is hobby machining and making parts around the farm. I can use a manual machine but have no experience with CNC.
My original thought was a Bridgeport or clone since I rarely do more than one or two of a part. A local dealer has a 1995 TRAK TRM Mill that he's asking $5900 for.
I'm hoping someone can educate me a little on this type of machine.
Can I actually use this as a manual mill or is that a pain?
What are the advantages / disadvantages of going this route vs a manual machine?
Lastly, are TRAKs any good?

Thanks!

Never saw one in the flesh, but a couple I see online have some pluses to them. I like the stouter looking fixed base and column compared to your average Bridgeport type knee mill. Another plus is 40 taper instead of R8. Big difference there.

I see hand wheels, so obviously it can be moved that way. But hand feeding in the cut might be iffy if it uses ballscrews. Maybe they somehow feed hand wheel movement thru the servos so the table doesn't run away from you in a climb cut.

It looks like it has a manual quill. To be honest, I started with a 2 axis Tree knee mill, and kinda glad I did. Not having to worry about programming a Z axis takes a huge load off the whole operation. Especially for a CNC newb. Crashes are not impossible, but are a lot harder to come by with a manual Z. The Tree had a 6 position fixed stop on the quill, so you're not left completely in the lurch if this does as well.

Not that my 2c means much... but I kind of like it for a machine of that type. You can get a older full CNC-VMC for the same price, but sounds like that's not what you need or want. Hopefully someone who owns one can give you the full lowdown on it

I have one. They have a big work envelope for the money, but I don't find the CNC aspect very helpful. The CNC part is probably more hassle than it is worth for you. When on older CNC machine like this breaks down, you pretty well have to troubleshoot and fix it yourself. Something as simple as the brushes wearing out on an axis motor can cost $1500 to get fixed if you don't know what you are doing. Wait for a standard knee mill or buy one from somewhere where they are common and cheap.

I have one. They have a big work envelope for the money, but I don't find the CNC aspect very helpful. The CNC part is probably more hassle than it is worth for you. When on older CNC machine like this breaks down, you pretty well have to troubleshoot and fix it yourself. Something as simple as the brushes wearing out on an axis motor can cost $1500 to get fixed if you don't know what you are doing. Wait for a standard knee mill or buy one from somewhere where they are common and cheap.
This was my main concern. I like the idea of "extra" features just in case I want to CNC but the complexity comes at a cost. Do you find manual operation any more cumbersome than it would be on on a BP clone?

Back