What's new
What's new

Advice wanted for 5th+ axis training in the future

Matthew Dudley

Plastic
Hey guys,
I am an apprentice machinist in GA and am thinking of learning 5th axis programming and machining in the future probably 2-3 years in the future. I plan to finish Athens Technical College Precision Machining and Manufacturing program this fall with an associate degree and spend a year or so gaining cnc and manual experience before moving on to 5th axis. There is no 5th axis training at all in GA or any of our surrounding states. I have considered Saunders Machine Works‘ classes but would like to ask for advice and other suggestions for programs. I am not willing to move out of state for the training but would be willing to go for a few months at the most.

Thanks,
Matthew Dudley

Get a HLE version of Mastercam, and take their online courses. Also I think they still have a bunch of free training on their site.

Hey guys,
I am an apprentice machinist in GA and am thinking of learning 5th axis programming and machining in the future probably 2-3 years in the future. I plan to finish Athens Technical College Precision Machining and Manufacturing program this fall with an associate degree and spend a year or so gaining cnc and manual experience before moving on to 5th axis. There is no 5th axis training at all in GA or any of our surrounding states. I have considered Saunders Machine Works‘ classes but would like to ask for advice and other suggestions for programs. I am not willing to move out of state for the training but would be willing to go for a few months at the most.

Thanks,
Matthew Dudley
I don’t think the training offered by Saunders Machine is worth the cost. Most of the stuff that will be covered in the training is pretty basic.

Do you want to get into a training program that uses Fusion 360 or MasterCAM?

I don’t think the training offered by Saunders Machine is worth the cost. Most of the stuff that will be covered in the training is pretty basic.

Do you want to get into a training program that uses Fusion 360 or MasterCAM?
I am currently taking CAD/CAM at Athens Tech which has MasterCAM and my work recently bought a subscription to Fusion 360, so I am thinking about getting certified in both.

Back