What's new
What's new

Advise in dealing with non-paying customer/vendor

Well a money order DID show up! Not the full amount but there's supposed to be more later. At least there's something.

And I agree about threats to violence being wrong and counterproductive. None of that was made here. The only "threat" was when I asked him if we needed to get lawyers involved. I chose my words carefully as my only intent was to see how he expected this to play out. If he had texted back "F-ya, get a lawyer!" The obviously he thinks he can fight and it likely isn't worth my time. If he had continued to ignore me, then it would have just confirmed concerns that it was all a weird scam. He texted back and within a couple days made a payment towards the balance, so I think that shows he's likely over extended and was just dodging me hoping for more time. I understand that, but it isn't right. The whole "you get payed when I get payed" scenario is something I'd run away from. I don't see how anyone can run a business like that.

Last edited:
That's a total crock. Copy an attorney after 60 days? No real business does that. There are a myriad of reasons why a business, particularly a small business, would be late on payment.

I'm not saying it's something to be habitual about but it happens. Want to burn a bridge and get put on a shit list immediately? Try getting a lawster involved before you have any real cause to suspect the other party is actively screwing you.

Never ascribe to malice what can be explained by incompetence (financial or otherwise).
im saying the same thing you are basically, that until reasonable requests have gone unanswered for an extended period, there is nothing to see here.

I was only thinking of that IF you get absolutely no response after 60 days, to possibly motivate the other party.

there is a BIG difference between someone responding, but being late paying, and a party going totally non- responsive. that's a giant red flag, don't you think?

Well a money order DID show up! Not the full amount but there's supposed to be more later. At least there's something.

And I agree about threats to violence being wrong and counterproductive. None of that was made here. The only "threat" was when I asked him if we needed to get lawyers involved. I chose my words carefully as my only intent was to see how he expected this to play out. If he had texted back "F-ya, get a lawyer!" The obviously he thinks he can fight and it likely isn't worth my time. If he had continued to ignore me, then it would have just confirmed concerns that it was all a weird scam. He texted back and within a couple days made a payment towards the balance, so I think that shows he's likely over extended and was just dodging me hoping for more time. I understand that, but it isn't right.
The whole "you get payed when I get payed" scenario is something I'd run away from. I don't see how anyone can run a business like that.

Actually, there are some business types that really doo work that way.
I haven't come accrost any examples lately, and I am running low on RAM personally, but I know that I have come accrost it before, and that was just how it was done.

As long as you know that going in and agree to it:

Or [and this could be one of those cases] where the main guy tries to keep the small line items paid up and out of the picture.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have known a couple construction contractors that had been screwed once too often, and they had terms in their contract that basically said that they owned what they built, until it was paid for.

After being stiffed once or twice too many times, they showed up on site at a convenient (to them) hour, and proceeded to chainsaw the deck, or porch, or sunroom, into smaller and easily handled pieces, at which time, word got around that you don't screw with so-and-so....

TO WHO IT MAY CONCERN... THIS MAN HAS BEEN PAID AND WE CAN PROVE IT!!!
SO PLEASE HEAR IT FROM BOTH SIDES BEFORE YOUR STATEMENT IS MADE & YOU START TO SLANDER PEOPLE!!!

TO WHO IT MAY CONCERN... THIS MAN HAS BEEN PAID AND WE CAN PROVE IT!!!
SO PLEASE HEAR IT FROM BOTH SIDES BEFORE YOUR STATEMENT IS MADE & YOU START TO SLANDER PEOPLE!!!

This was ancient history as far as our site was concerned, until you topped the thread.

Mr. Naegle asked me to edit out the link in the original post a few days ago, which I did, and only you, me, and him would have known that, because no-one was looking through 1 year old threads about someone else's non-payment.

BUT, since you did bring it up that he has been paid, he said just that a few posts up on June 23 of last year.

-----------------------

I am Ox and I approve this post!

Yep, after several payments over the last year and a half, their company sent a confirmation that the final payment has been mailed. Once received, they will be receiving a statement showing their balance is paid in full and I will no longer do business with their company.

I wish them well in their future business.

There is more to the story. last year MB called me to call the MN company and I drove up there as they were about 2 hours from my shop. I spent a few hours fitting the gibs into the machine. The MN company paid me that day as that was my terms. I told them the Texas person had not paid MB and they were surprised as they had paid the Texas guy. I am not positive, but I think the Texas guy worked for another division of the MN company.

MB is a student of mine and does good work, but he learned a lesson here. I would have had the TX guy buy the Turcite and drop shipped to me. I would have asked for 1/2 an estimated cost down and COD before shipping.

Another thing. One needs to fit gibs into the machine after it is re-turcited. I believe the MN company called the TX guy after I told them MB hadn't been paid as they were shocked as I said they paid the bill the TX guy gave them. To the TX guy. The Rebuilding community is small and we hear about people who don't pay. MB is a really nice guy, but you learned a lesson here. Get paid in advance or COD.

Back