What's new
What's new

Aftermarket twin/straddle cutting tool?

GiroDyno

Cast Iron
We are looking at adding another Doosan VTL with a twin cutting tool. They can add one to the turret for $18k which isn't bad considering its another axis and a lot of hardware, but then it becomes a factory order and we all know how lead times are these days...
Until we got a VTL with the factory hardware we ran this coolant actuated bolt on unit which fit to a regular Doosan turret, but it has to be manually preset.
thumbnail_PXL_20220809_124721787.jpg
I'd really like to find a motor driven one so when we switch programs it will automagically offset itself. AFAIK we only have 3(?) different thickness parts that need this tool, and I don't think we would need more than 3/16" adjustment between them. Max thickness <1.5" and probably need about 3" total throat on it. We could always fab up some custom extended stick tools to achieve that depth if necessary.

Wondering if anybody knows who makes something like this, or can recommend a specific model of motor driven twin cutting tool?

Maybe I'm not using the right terminology, I've heard straddle, pinch and twin cutting all used interchangeably so forgive my ignorance.

Like this for those who don't know
1660058430256.png

Motorized adjustment on THAT?

Seems like an $800 servo motor on your transfer case, all so that you don't have to pull that blasted lever back on occassion. With all the liabilities of having to maintain that ability.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Motorized adjustment on THAT?
Seems like an $800 servo motor on your transfer case, all so that you don't have to pull that blasted lever back on occassion. With all the liabilities of having to maintain that ability.
Not sure exactly what you're getting at?

We are switching between batches of parts that have thicknesses somewhere between 1.30 and 1.45 multiple times a day. Having a driven tool that will automatically jump between sizes based on the program, and can be adjusted in .0001" increments via button push makes that a breeze compared to squeezing in there with gauge blocks to get a base setting and then constantly fiddling with the adjuster screw every minute cycle through a run of parts...

The servo unit on the Doosan works very well, knock on wood I don't think we've managed to break it despite several attempts...
The old pneumatic unit works too it just requires a more experienced operator to set up both quickly and accurately.

This is for a new cell cutting just one family of parts from a single casting so its already a lot less complicated than it used to be with 7 different castings and 300 different part #s. Usually running a batch of 20-50 of any part # at a time. Ideally we could get some schedule going so we cut all of size X in one day and Y the next, but for now we are just cutting whatever is the next highest priority based on incoming orders.

I can't seem to find any information on "live" versions of this type of tool, or even for the Daewoo we have. There doesn't seem to be anything coming up on the Google machine other than knurling tools which is kind of the opposite effect we want...
But a search for Doosan V400 VTL and that tool shows up in the first 20 seconds of the first video I watched...

Reactions: Ox
WOW!

I was thinking about asking if that 1 tool would retract to cut that snout down.
That is a VERY narrow application tool ratt there!
But if it has THAT much capability, and you can actually utilize the short run app, then 18 bills sounds cheap!

I jist would never had guessed anyone running that many different rotors in one day!
Obviously you are supporting the aftermarket, not OEM.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

For your app, does it really save enough cycle time to not jist use two static tools?
One for and one aft?

How (what?) does "coolant actuated" work?

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

To get a part that is flat and won't require any post processing it requires solid fixturing and that twin cutting effect. We already cut both faces with two different tools to semi-finish but it tends to leave a bit of a taper, that tool more or less guarantees a constant thickness between the faces and a good finish.

The "manual" version is a stack of spring washers to hold the tool in the closed/cutting position and a cylinder driven by coolant pressure to actuate a lever and compress the spring stack. I think the idea was to avoid plumbing a bunch of extra lines into the machine since this is something intended to just bolt on.

Reactions: Ox
So the coolant pressure is what is keeping the tool up agginst the stop - right?
You have used this in the past?

Ever have the insert wear/chip and the tool pressure overtake the piston?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The stack of springs is what holds it in its neutral/closed state which is the cutting position. You pressurize the cylinder to compress the stack which opens the tools, then you do a little Z hop to get the other tool clear of the part and retract in X. Once clear you cut pressure to the cylinder and it springs back to closed.
I can see arguments for having it either way.
We only take off .005"/side with it so it's not exactly burning through inserts.
Maybe I can mount the adjustable tool on a tiny linear actuator and use a single axis controller and some m-codes to adjust it on the fly, the worst of both worlds!

Back