What's new
What's new

Air blast during probing: yea or nay?

trochoidalpath

Cast Iron
I was running a bunch of Delrin the other day and the long, stringy chips made quite a mess around my probe and tool setter. Made me wonder: any disadvantages to running the air blast during the entire tool touch-off and probing cycles?

It's pretty obvious how to modify the canned touch-off routine on the Speedio to do it. But I was wondering if there's some reason why it's a bad idea.

I was running a bunch of Delrin the other day and the long, stringy chips made quite a mess around my probe and tool setter. Made me wonder: any disadvantages to running the air blast during the entire tool touch-off and probing cycles?

It's pretty obvious how to modify the canned touch-off routine on the Speedio to do it. But I was wondering if there's some reason why it's a bad idea.

One thing you may run into depending on how the tech configured the air blast: mine was one a "one-shot" M Code that activated the blast for a set period of time. You can mode it to a modal M Code (it will register e.g. M438 on and M439 off) and will have to modify the macros to turn it on and then off later on.

I think gkoenig mentioned modifying his to have the blast on the entire time during the fast touch, and then turn off for the slow touch. Seems reasonable.

Back